Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Dot new Pickups like 490R/498T

n4wh3r3

Hey Guys

i have a Epiphone the Dot and want some new Pick ups for it. I Like the Clean Sound but in Ovdrive i found it sounds to muddy and a little bit classic. I got not enough RocknRoll sound out of it...not dirty enough. Its very difficult for me to describe. I Really love the tone of the ES 137 from Gibson which is using by the Lead Player from the Kings of Leon. I would build in the same Pick ups in my Dot if i had the money. But i havent. I Looking for some Pick ups whichs sound quiet similar or the same like them: dirty but clear with amazing Lead Sounds. I know its difficult but hoppefully somebody know any good Pick ups for me.

When i change the pick ups is it necessary to change cables and Potis too?

Thanks for you Help [thumbup]

Hi,

Very, very popular question:

My link

My link

BTW, although I don't have the answer (I have a Dot and am looking for same info), it's a big help that you included the KOL reference. To that point I'd say that from what little I have heard by them, the guitars sounded big and aggressive, and maybe the aggressiveness is what you consider modern versus a sweeter vintage sound.

I just got a set of Burstbuckers (1 &2) that I was going to install, it'll be a few days but I'll post my review.

All I say about pots/caps/switch issue is, since I have functioning, full sized pots and quality switch from factory (MIK) they will remain until they fail. I have a bunch of left over caps from when I worked in a shop, so I will swap them.

YMMV, IMHO, YYY (yadda yadda yadda)

Bob

• 2 years later...

If you install the 490R/498T pickups, you will be impressed.....HIGHLY impressed. But it will be worth rewiring the guitar to use higher quality pots and capacitors. Seriously, do this upgrade right and you will be blown away.

I totally agree with steve, i have a 1997 Korean dot, and i thought it sounded very dull, dead with stock pups. I wanted something brighter and cleaner sounding, so i put a gibson 490R in the neck and a 498T in the bridge, WOW what a difference, it hot rodded it up , its very bright and clean and still has a good bottom end, i havent even changed out the wiring and pots yet, thats next. I was thinking about getting rid of it, but not now totally different guitar.

yes i cant wait to do the wiring and pots, i know that will have to make a huge differance, just the sound change switching the pups blew my mind, i was really planning on getting rid of it, but putting a hotter set of pups really gave it a unique sound, far from the typical 335 sound, i would make the change.

There's a lot better PU's than the 498T/490R set, which has frustrated many players over the years (many get replaced). The bridge is very bright and thin, the neck is thick and fairly dark, so getting an amp EQ that works for both of them is difficult, if not impossible. Just not the right PU's to put together. If you want a 498T, it'll work much better with a brighter neck PU, like a Duncan '59 or Jazz.

Burstbucker 1 & 2, or 2 & 3 are better-sounding, alone and together. I put a pair of Duncan Seth's in my Dot, which are one of the best PAF's made today. Excellent tones (better clarity and high-end than '57 Classics, BTW).

Look on eBay for used PU's, they often run around half price.

that was just the combo i came up with, and personally i really like the sound, i do like that high pingy clean, i just picked up a blackstar H20, and i usually play thru a blues driver, i think it sounds awsome, till i get tired of the sound. and search for something new.

When i change the pick ups is it necessary to change cables and Pots too?

I only change the pots or toggle if they're shorting out or scratchy, which is not very often. If they work, keep them. Upgraded pots and other electronics will have little, if any, effect on the tone. Changing PU's does more tone-wise than changing everything else put together, including hardware.

I only change the pots or toggle if they're shorting out or scratchy, which is not very often. If they work, keep them. Upgraded pots and other electronics will have little, if any, effect on the tone. Changing PU's does more tone-wise than changing everything else put together, including hardware.

[thumbup] So true! The sound benefit you'll get from new/upgraded wiring will be extremely subtle at best - unless as mentioned above.

Archived