Gibson Brands Forums

Which aluminium tailpiece MIK Dot?

bobmc

Just so I am clear, I am asking;

Which aluminium tailpiece (have folks purchased and then installed on their) MIK Dot?

Looking at Gotoh advertised on Stewmac.com, I like that price (>$40USD) best so far.

Bob

Are you looking for the best price or best stop bar? I looked into this when I had my Ibanez AS80 (which I sold to get my MelodyMaker).From what I found, the Gotoh at StewMac is probably the lowest price one you'll find. Others are available, but will cost more, as much as $100. There are even titanium ones available. I've only tried wraparound aluminum bridges (by Pigtail) and was happy with the improvement in that situation. Not sure how much the stop bar will change the tone without doing something to the bridge (and studs), too. All of my guitars are wraparounds or trapeze now.

tweed2

The guitar cost me $250 so I am looking at appropriately priced (lowcost) parts, but if there are functionality/compatablility issues it wouldn't matter if it was free!

My idea is to reproduce an upgrade I did to an Ibanez Artcore (AS73) and that was to use lighter tailpiece and tuners; it really opened up that guitar. I think it was the Stew Mac bridge I used but I CRS anymore.

Bob

Understood. It's been a year since I looked, but the StewMac bar is the deal, unless you are lucky enough to find one on eBay (what are the odds). Anything less probably isn't worth getting. Good luck.

I've not looked into tailpieces before but have been thinking about it. I looked at Stewmac and they have a light Ali one for $33. It has 3 1/4" post spacing which seems to be the same as my 2004 Korean Sheraton, and comes with US or metric studs and bushes. Comes in chrome or nickel. How would this one suit?

Stewmac Ali tailpiece

vomer,

Yes sir thats the one. I have to remove stud and figure out if its metric or imperial.

BTW, I see in your signature that you use GFS Dream 90s. They are my backup plan if a set of Burstbuckers proves too aggressive. I have used the Dream90 neck/ Mean 90 bridge setup in two guitars so far, and found them really useful; rich, articulate and musical. They could drive my amps (Tweed Princeton, Tweed Deluxe clone) very well.

Archived