Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson three PU wiring ?

gibsonfndr

Hi guys.

Here is a question about the possible three pick ups wirings. I am the proud owner of a vintage SG custom and the wiring scheme is bridge, bridge + middle (out of phase) and neck.

I once owned such a guitar but at the time modified the guitar and drilled holes in it to put switches and I do not want to do this anymore to avoid ruining whatever value my guitar has.

I think I remember reading in an old issue of Guitar Player magazine a column about other wirings still non-destructive ?

Can any one help me ?

I'm not looking for a strat style 5 ways combination but to have the middle pick up alone would be a fine addition ... and no holes drilled of course.

You can add push/pull or push/push pots to get some coil cut, series parallel and phasing options without drilling for new switches. What are you looking to do?

push-pull pots ... yeah I'll think of it.

I'm not sure about what combination I really want. I once had a three pups SG and replaced one tone pot with a regular 3 positions toggle switch ... no holes drilled but it ruined the look of the guitar ... the combinations were neck, neck + ??? and ??? by "???" I mean using the extra toggle, so it was middle, middle + bridge, bridge ... sort of 7 positions ... not all of them useble I must say ... but I liked the middle pick up alone choice ...

Does your SG have 3 pickups?

Yes she does and to add insult to injury the three of them are "tar sealed" so it is impossible to cancel the fact that the bridge and middle pick up are out of phase without changing one of them.

At least I can't blame any one as it is my second SG custom with the same features the first one I owned in the early 80's so I knew what I was paying for. LOL.

sgcustom72.jpg

Ahhh Now I see. Ok. What I would do is wire it up so that the pickup switch works on the neck and bridge pickups just like it would on any other SG. I would rewire the pots that your bridge and neck vol worked the same as always but they worked of one master tone knob. Then I would add a push pull pot where the other tone knob was that when pulled engaged the middle pickup and when turned was the middle pickups vol.

• 2 weeks later...

Ahhh Now I see. Ok. What I would do is wire it up so that the pickup switch works on the neck and bridge pickups just like it would on any other SG. I would rewire the pots that your bridge and neck vol worked the same as always but they worked of one master tone knob. Then I would add a push pull pot where the other tone knob was that when pulled engaged the middle pickup and when turned was the middle pickups vol.

Hi. I followed your advice and bought one push/pull pot. This seems to be THE solution only ... the pot is a bit too tall for the SG body so I can't close the plate ... this iS silly isn't it ?

This SG custom is so thin you don't believe it !

Let's see if I can live with one half closed pot cavity plate.

LOL.

Hmmm... didn't think about that. Another solution would be to replace the pickup switch with a 6 way rotary switch.

yes I thought of that too but it may detroy the guitar look ... anyway I'll stay for a while with the "protruding" push pull pot just to see if it's worth the pain. I also may work the top of the guitar, take out a couple of millimetres of wood ... anyway, no need to hurry up. Let's see what's going on. I let you know.

Ok. here's the perfect fix for ya I think. These are being used on one of the new Jimmy Page Les Pauls and they are totally cool. They won't spoil the look of the guitar and I think they are small enough to fit.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Components:_Switches_and_knobs/Free-Way_Pickup_Switch.html

BRILLIANT !

I'll give it a try.

thanks for the information !

Archived