Gibson Brands Forums

Good place to get a service

Nialzzz

Hi there folks.

I was hoping someone could direct me to the most reputable dealer (UK) to get my SG seen to.

I've been having a slight problem with it recently.

It's a 2004 SG Standard (Ebony), I pulled out the pickups and dropped in the EMG 81/85 pair and have it constantly dropped to CGCFAD, to counter the drop it has 12 quage strings.

As of late I've had a problem with the low E©, any time I fret a note above the 12th, it buzz' and the note dies off very quickly. I've looked at the neck and there doesn't seem to be any twists or bends, I've not played about with the tune-o-matic height at all and the nut seems fine.

I'm the first owner of the guitar and toured it for 6 of the 7 years i've owned it and it's never given me a single problem. I've not played it in a few months, and it's sat in it's case in a well vented, temperature controlled room.

Any ideas?

I'm based in Glasgow, Scotland, UK

Hi there folks.

I was hoping someone could direct me to the most reputable dealer (UK) to get my SG seen to.

I've been having a slight problem with it recently.

It's a 2004 SG Standard (Ebony), I pulled out the pickups and dropped in the EMG 81/85 pair and have it constantly dropped to CGCFAD, to counter the drop it has 12 quage strings.

As of late I've had a problem with the low E©, any time I fret a note above the 12th, it buzz' and the note dies off very quickly. I've looked at the neck and there doesn't seem to be any twists or bends, I've not played about with the tune-o-matic height at all and the nut seems fine.

I'm the first owner of the guitar and toured it for 6 of the 7 years i've owned it and it's never given me a single problem. I've not played it in a few months, and it's sat in it's case in a well vented, temperature controlled room.

Any ideas?

I'm based in Glasgow, Scotland, UK

The neck is to hollow (the strings are pointed down from the nut to the brigde)

turn the trusrodd a quiter turn from right to left with the trussrod adjustor (should be deliverd when you baught te Gibby) and adjust te brigde at the side of the lower E a little bit up, that should do the trick [thumbup]

It sounds quite straightforward

An experienced guitar technician can put a straight edge along the fretboard and check the neck relief

And highlight any high frets causing the buzzing

Then level and dress the frets

A main Gibson dealer in your area will be able to refer you to a reputable technician

Good Luck !!

V :-({|=

It sounds quite straightforward

An experienced guitar technician can put a straight edge along the fretboard and check the neck relief

And highlight any high frets causing the buzzing

Then level and dress the frets

A main Gibson dealer in your area will be able to refer you to a reputable technician

Good Luck !!

V :-({|=

He gets buzz, everytime he frets above the 12th fret, so the frets are not the problem, the neck is to hollow, so the strings are pointing a down angle from the nut to the fret.

@ TS, grab a capo and put it between the nut and the first fret--> fret the 14th fret and measure the space between the lower E string and the 7th fret (it should be around 0.25-0.30 mm--> more |(neck is to hollow) less (neck is to straight.

For measuring, use a feeler gauge

He gets buzz, everytime he frets above the 12th fret, so the frets are not the problem, the neck is to hollow, so the strings are pointing a down angle from the nut to the fret.

@ TS, grab a capo and put it between the nut and the first fret--> fret the 14th fret and measure the space between the lower E string and the 7th fret (it should be around 0.25-0.30 mm--> more |(neck is to hollow) less (neck is to straight.

For measuring, use a feeler gauge

Thats fantastic buddy.

I'm terrified of changing something on my guitar and perhaps damaging it more . I'll take it to my local dealer and have it serviced. The reason I'm unsure about doing it myself is the fact the guitar is not under warranty and not covered by my insurance; if I break it, I have to replace it.

I'll endeavor to try out the capo at the 14th fret.

Now, with the capo in place it's completely irrelevant how high/low my bridge is set? Am I correct in thinking that?

Thanks again buddy.

Thats fantastic buddy.

I'm terrified of changing something on my guitar and perhaps damaging it more . I'll take it to my local dealer and have it serviced. The reason I'm unsure about doing it myself is the fact the guitar is not under warranty and not covered by my insurance; if I break it, I have to replace it.

I'll endeavor to try out the capo at the 14th fret.

Now, with the capo in place it's completely irrelevant how high/low my bridge is set? Am I correct in thinking that?

Thanks again buddy.

thats right, capo between the nut and the first fret (the capo frets your first fret) and fret the 14th fret with one of your fingers, when your capo and your finger are in position measure the space between the lower E and the 7th fret (its irrelevant how high/low your brigde is)

Archived