Gibson Brands Forums

Explorer pickups - low output

Matt the Cat

Hi guys

Recently got a '58 Korina Explorer and really love it. However have noticed that the bridge pup in particular does not give too much output. It's useable but was kinda expecting more. First noticed it when I played it through my 'smokey amp'. Used to have an old '80s Gibson Invader and the smokey amp really powered and distorted nicely with that but the Explorer just gave me a clean tone with the bridge pup full on!

Could there be something wrong with my Explorer or are the pups just a bit weak?

(have checked the battery in the smokey amp and tried with my mates Gibby LP and the smokey was fine)

Thanks, Matt

It does indeed sound like something dicky is going on with the electrics. The good news is that it is highly unlikely to be a problem with the pickup. There is a strong possibility that the selector switch is the culprit as they have a reputation for being a bit flaky. But if it's not the selector it will be a dodgy volume or tone pot or maybe the wiring itself. If you are competent with a soldering iron then this should be an easy fix for you, if not then it will be an inexpensive fix at the guitar shop.

It does indeed sound like something dicky is going on with the electrics. The good news is that it is highly unlikely to be a problem with the pickup. There is a strong possibility that the selector switch is the culprit as they have a reputation for being a bit flaky. But if it's not the selector it will be a dodgy volume or tone pot or maybe the wiring itself. If you are competent with a soldering iron then this should be an easy fix for you, if not then it will be an inexpensive fix at the guitar shop.

Thanks for that bigneil, so in theory the stock pups should be giving me a decent output if everything else is fine? Don't really wanna start buying new pups if these should do a reasonable job anyway.

Cheers, Matt

Thanks for that bigneil, so in theory the stock pups should be giving me a decent output if everything else is fine? Don't really wanna start buying new pups if these should do a reasonable job anyway.

Cheers, Matt

yup, in theory your pickups should have a decent output, the neck will have a fairly vintage tone and the bridge pickup should be hotter, but not as hot as the likes of a distortion humbucker.

However not every one likes the tone and sound quality of the stock Epi' pickups, A pickup upgrade is a popular modification.

It all depends what sort of music you like to play, The stock pickups should be good for almost any style of music except for some of the more extreme full on metal.

Two thoughts:

1. Your bridge pup might be too low.

2. The stock pups on Epi Explorers are Alnico classics which aren't as hot as the ceramic pups that come on the Gibson Explorer. I think some Gibson Invaders came with Dirty Fingers pups which are also pretty hot.

Maybe, take that amp to a store and try it with a different Epi Explorer.

Alan

Have you tried checking the ohms reading on that pup with an ohm meter?

If some one has messed with the pickups it could be possible that you have a shorted winding,

but as stated earlier, could be wiring, or the pots. There's a section in the DIY thread in the lounge

that can help if your not familiar with checking your pickup impedance.

Two thoughts:

1. Your bridge pup might be too low.

2. The stock pups on Epi Explorers are Alnico classics which aren't as hot as the ceramic pups that come on the Gibson Explorer. I think some Gibson Invaders came with Dirty Fingers pups which are also pretty hot.

Maybe, take that amp to a store and try it with a different Epi Explorer.

Alan

good point! your pickup might just be set too far away from the strings

Archived