Gibson Brands Forums

LP Junior Lite DC

Patch

Hello,

I recently picked up a 2001 LP Jr. Lite DC from a young guy and was told that the pickups were changed by the original owner from P-100's to noiseless P-90's. I don't know the difference between the two types. I took some shots and was hoping someone could help me ID these pickups. There are only a couple of faint magic marker marks on the bottom of each pickup and all the soldering looks original (to me).

You can click on the link below to see the photos.

Thanks.

Click here

Where are the pickup covers??? Did you get it, like that? [confused]

P-100's are Gibson's version of "Humbucking" or "stacked" P-90's.

If he changed them, to "Humbucking P-90's," all he did

was change Brands...Seymour Duncan, or some other version.

Now Maybe(?) he preferred the tone, of the aftermarket

versions, to Gibson P-100's? Only he would know that.

But, that's really the only reason to change them. I have 2 Gibson

LP Junior Lites, and love the P-100's, for their own tone. They're

(to me) a cross between and P-90 and a Mini-humbucker, in tone.

None of the "stacked" or "Humbucking" versions, sound exactly

like a single coil P-90...IMHO. If one wants that tone, you

use "real" P-90's, and just deal with the "noise." As long as they're

grounded and sheilded properly, they'll pretty quiet, unless you use

a lot of overdrive, all the time. There are lots of good/great one's,

available.

Cheers,

CB

CB,

I removed the covers in order to take a good shot of the pickups. I wouldn't know what to look for in terms of identifying a P-100 from a stacked P-90. Whether they're P-100's or not I like the sound of these pickups but would like to try P-90's just to hear the difference. If they are P-100's I would be happy to have the original equipment for this guitar. And on that topic, I noticed that many of the LP Jr. Lite's don't have the Rhythm/Treble washer on the switch. Do you know if that was an inconsistency of Gibson or if people added them after market? It seems like all of the 2001's I've seen have them and the 1999-2000's don't.

Thanks,

KB

CB,

I removed the covers in order to take a good shot of the pickups. I wouldn't know what to look for in terms of identifying a P-100 from a stacked P-90. Whether they're P-100's or not I like the sound of these pickups but would like to try P-90's just to hear the difference. If they are P-100's I would be happy to have the original equipment for this guitar. And on that topic, I noticed that many of the LP Jr. Lite's don't have the Rhythm/Treble washer on the switch. Do you know if that was an inconsistency of Gibson or if people added them after market? It seems like all of the 2001's I've seen have them and the 1999-2000's don't.

Thanks,

KB

KB...mine didn't have the switch washer, as "standard equipment," either. I put one on (both of) mine.

DSC_0016-2.jpg

DSC_0015-1.jpg

DSC_0011-1.jpg

DSC_0013-1.jpg

I also added the green Gibson tulip tuners, and a TP-6 micro tuner tailpiece. Did the

black one out, in "Gold" hardware....just for "me!" ;>)

As to your pickups? If they sound great, leave 'em. The main difference in P-100's and P-90's (besides 60 cycle hum :>)), is that P-90's have a kind of "rounder" tone, and a bit more mid-range "quack," to them. The P-100's are, as stated previously, more like a cross between that, and a mini-humbucker. So...depending on your taste, and/or needs, either will do well, for you.

CB

CB,

Very nice looking guitars you have there. Based on your comment I assume my washer is an add on as well. I like the looks of it and think I'll leave it. Did you replace any of the pots or the switch? They seem of pretty poor quality. Mine has the green Gibson tulip keys as well, they look and perform well. The guy also gave me the original tuners.

I noticed you have 3 ply pick guards. Are they original? Mine is the same thickness as a 3 ply but not layered.

KB

CB,

Very nice looking guitars you have there. Based on your comment I assume my washer is an add on as well. I like the looks of it and think I'll leave it. Did you replace any of the pots or the switch? They seem of pretty poor quality. Mine has the green Gibson tulip keys as well, they look and perform well. The guy also gave me the original tuners.

I noticed you have 3 ply pick guards. Are they original? Mine is the same thickness as a 3 ply but not layered.

KB

Thanks, Patch/KB

Didn't "replace" anything internally...yet, anyway. I might (will), if/when they fail. It's an interesting thought, though...especially, regarding the pots. So, next time I get in a "modding" mood, I might try that. [smile]

And, yeah...the multi-ply pick-guards, are original, on mine...5-ply.

CB

Archived