Gibson Brands Forums

Is my new guitar a solid top?

Haldo

Hi all, first time on the forum so i apologise if this is a topic that has been covered.

Got my new Ej-200 in today:

IMG_1357.jpg

Anyway, this guitar is listed as "select spruce" top on bascially every website and it's well known this is an all laminate guitar.

However, when i looked at it i noticed this:

IMG_1363.jpg

Grain lines running through the sound hole, could this be a solid top?

also Have a look at the description on the epiphone website and notice what it lists the top as:

Ej 200

So can anyone shed any light on this mystery?

Thanks.

There's been a couple of threads VERY recently discussing this very thing (well not your guitar obviously but new EJ200 tops in general!!)

Search function is your friend [wink]

It seems that, at some point during 2010, Epi changed the spec of the EJ200's from Select (i.e laminated) to Solid Top.

Yours therefore, as confirmed by the pic, a solid top.

Time to buy a humidifier!

NIce looking guitar BTW

Time to buy a humidifier!

Also, it's not really good to sit your guitar next to a working radiator. Can't tell from the photo if the radiator is on, but temperature and humidity extremes are bad for the guitar, particuarly if you've got solid wood in it.

Pretty guitar. Have a great time playing it!

(And Wiggy, I wouldn't be too hard on Haldo. We should be more welcoming. He said it was his first time on the forum, and he apologized for raising a question that may have been covered before. Not everyone coming here for the first time may be familiar with the "search" function or what it can do. Modern life is coarse enough and we don't have to jump down somebody's throat for asking a simple question.)

I didn't jump down his throat, that's why I put the 'wink' emoticon after the comment !

MInd you the last post on this subject was only about 8 & 12 down in the list and pretty explanatory in title so shouldn't have been too hard to find and certainly wouldn't have needed the search function.

I then answered his query and complemented him on his new guitar

Sheesh :rolleyes:

Current specs on Epi or Gibsons' website are not indicative of guitars currently sitting on dealers shelves and warehouses. A hands on inspection is the only way of knowing.

Having said that, you sound hold pic seems to indicate Solid Top to me.

Hi all, first time on the forum so i apologise if this is a topic that has been covered.

Got my new Ej-200 in today:

IMG_1357.jpg

Anyway, this guitar is listed as "select spruce" top on bascially every website and it's well known this is an all laminate guitar.

However, when i looked at it i noticed this:

IMG_1363.jpg

Grain lines running through the sound hole, could this be a solid top?

also Have a look at the description on the epiphone website and notice what it lists the top as:

Ej 200

So can anyone shed any light on this mystery?

Thanks.

Hi Haldo, Welcome to the forum. Check out this thread I started in December http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/60559-ej-200ce-solid-top-see-photos-and-decide/

Archived