Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone SG 400 parts

UnityUnity

YO!

I'm new to the forum and have been an EPI SG player for 4 years or so and just bought the same model as my last one I had for about 3 years, due to hard use and no maintenance. Anyway, I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to guitars, but I want to keep this one in tip top shape as well as make it as playable and strong as possible.

I took off all of the strings to clean the neck and body/etc. The piece that is before the bridge, where the strings are first put through fell off. (I'm holding the piece I'm talking about in the picture)

Was this just because the large screws were not tight enough? Is there any reason for this to not be super tight? I was wondering the same thing about the bridge, it seems loose, but I don't know if there is preference involved in its setting, or just function.

Also my rhythm/treble nob keeps getting loose and sometimes will be super quiet when I use it to switch pickups, but if I push the nob back and forth a few times it will be normal again. This is obviously not okay for live situations, and I bought this guitar new about 3 months ago and have been reasonably gentle with it, aside from the casual rocking.

Any help would be much appreciated, sorry if I wasn't as descriptive as some of you prodigies will be

thanks!

-alex

post-30961-090685400 1298161120_thumb.jpg

the Basic idea of the height of the stoptail is to adjust the angle that the strings come down off the saddles at.

stoptail_ugao_20.jpg

As for the selector switch, they are known to be a week point in the guitars electronics. Many folks choose to upgrade the switch to a better quality one, which does require some soldering.

We use the bridge height in conjunction with the truss rod to set the correct string height and playability, we call this the "action".

The recommended string height for Les Paul is measured at the 12th fret and is the distance between the top of the fret and the underside of the string. 5/64" (2mm) for the thickest string, and 3/64" (1.2mm) for the thinnest string.

Here is a link taken from the very good DIY thread over in the Epiphone lounge....My link

P.S SG sould be same as LP for set up.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived