Gibson Brands Forums

I need help pricing a Gibson LG2

skiproberts

I have a early 50's LG2 that I'm selling for a friend. It was in his basement (more of a root cellar really!) It's all stock, has usually wear for that year, frets are OK, no cracks or separations, needs a neck reset (IMHO). Original paperboard case.

Any idea what I should ask for this little gem?

Thanks.

From what I have seen, early 1950s LG-2s tend to go in the $2500 range. In this neck of the woods, mid- to late 1950s models sell for $1800 to $2000.

I am thinking you would obviously have to deduct for the cost of a neck reset and then some to entice a buyer to go through the trouble. 1950s LG-2s are not hard to find and folks will usually want a bargain bin price on any that need some serious repairs.

This is only an opinion based on local obersvations so please take it with a grain of salt.

Good Luck

I think zombywoof's assessment is pretty accurate. I bought a 1946 version for $2300 on evilbay. It had a repaired crack in the side though, so likely scared more than a few potential buyers off. The LG-2's are great guitars, but there's quite a few of them out there. I've seen EC condition banners go in the $3000-$3500+ range, but by the time you get to the 50's, there seems to be much less demand.

If it needs a reset, have it done before you sell. Often, it is roughly a $400 job plus any fret work, but it will increase the guitar's value by about twice what you pay. If you want to sell it in need of a reset, you have to be willing to reduce the price to about 55% of book value, because resets often make the owner aware of other condition issues that need to be addressed, and obviously other expenses. Most experienced buyers aren't going to roll the dice and toss $2000 for a guitar that might need $1000 worth of work in the end. At the very least, you should have a proper estimate of repair costs written up by a qualified shop to present with the sale.

• 8 months later...

Hello, I have an Lg2 1942 Pre-War Banner Headstock, no truss rod. It is all original except I have had the original pickguard removed and re-attached so as not to cause the usual stress cracks that they caused by being under the lacquer. Also I have had the bridge re-set and top re-glued with all vintage glues by a Top Luthier. It plays and sounds incredibly. I put it's value at about $3000 - $3500 due to it's condition, sound and playability.

I am looking to trade it for a quality archtop. I will add some cash to the deal if necessary but it would have to be an L5 or comprable. What are your thoughts on this being viable considering what I want to accomplish. This guitar will NOT dissapoint. I am asking for opinions since I want to know if I am being realistic. Who better to ask than here.

My other Guitars are: 1963 PAF 175 MINT Gibson

1998 Gary Flowers Custom Arch Top

1969 335 Gibson

1968 Les Paul Gibson NOT Re-issue

1942 LG2 Gibson

1947 00-17 Martin

1998 Epiphone Regent

And a few Others.......

GA-5 Les Paul Amp. Gibson

GA-30 1948 Gibson

And on and on so call me obsessive!!!!!!

I keep a loose finger on the pulse of old gibson archtops- I'd say you could find yourself a deal. (I'm thinking of 1930's era gibsons). You might try calling some dealers that have an archtop to sell and see if you can't work a trade.

In general, there are more folks interested in vintage flat tops than archtops, and a dealer might look at your LG2 as something he could better turn into cash than an archtop.

Archived