Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Flying V project - question

CaptainNemo68

Does it matter? I mean some pickup makers just sell the same pup and tell you to put it in the neck or bridge, i dont think theres much of a diffrent if at all in a neck or bridge, except if they change things on the pickup it self.

Like some will make the bridge hotter then the neck, which i doubt gibson does.

There is a difference, yes, in pole spacing for the bridge and neck pickups, typically the pole pieces in the neck pickup are slightly closer, and although I agree with Demoon that a lot of manufacturers don't seem to care that much (maybe with today's pickups being hotter and more sensitive overall it makes less of a difference?) but in a perfect world the two pickups do have slightly different specs. I found this out the hard way when trying to put two old chrome bridge hb covers on the open 490s in my SG Special, they were too wide for the neck and could not fit over the excess potting wax on the bridge pickup, so I ended up buying a proper Gibson cover for the neck p/u and a Dimarzio PAF 36 for the bridge (I was probably also looking for an excuse to buy more gear too! Spending $ is one of my many talents...)

That being said, I don't which they use for the middle. I'd see if you can find the specs for something like the 3-p/u Faded Flying V, for example, and see what pickup they used for the middle. I've always thought middle pickups looked very cool, especially on SG Customs with Maestros, but they do get in the way & I doubt I'd really use it for much - I never messed with the middle much when playing Strat-style's either.

Archived