Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Rivoli Bass Hum

mydeadblues

I have this posted in the epiphone electric guitar section because a lot of people usually help me out there, but I thought I'd give it a try over here. Basically I have unwanted humming that increases when I roll the volume knob down. It's at a guitar tech who told me today that he can not fix it. I had the output jack and volume knob replaced but that didn't do the trick. The tech said he checked the ground wire as well so I am clueless on what is causing this problem. Any help would be appreciated, here's a link below to pictures and a better description.

Thank you.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/60386-noisy-humming/

I have an EB-2 which is almost the same bass, and it doesn't hum at all. I'm not a technician of any kind, so take this for what it is worth. The schematic shows several electronic devices, and one of them might be a capacitor. I have been told you know your capacitors are beginning to fail in an amplifier when the amp starts to hum more and more. If there's a capacitor in your wiring somewhere, it may be faulty. Or maybe I don't know, but since you already checked the pots, the output, and grounding, there's not a whole lot left.

• 3 weeks later...

That's exactly what I did. I just brought it to another shop and they replaced both pots, the output jack, and rewired it back to factory schematics. According to him there were some extra unnecessary wires I guess the previous tech put in and it differed from the original wiring diagram. I just went in there today hoping to pick it up but the humm is still there! He said he's going to replace the resistor but he can't figure out what is going on with it. The volume pot works better now; the volume is more gradual but the humm increases as the volume increases. It's noisy the entire way through now (unlike before when at full volume the humm diminished). The tech initially thought it was some kind of ground issue but now we're both unsure what it could be. I think the only variables left to eliminate are the resistor, baritone push button, and the pickup. Any more help would be appreciated! Thank you!

Well, if you get rid of the baritone push button, I would be happy to buy it from you. My EB-2 was de-buttoned before I got it, and one of these days, I would like it to have its mud button again.

Well, if you get rid of the baritone push button, I would be happy to buy it from you. My EB-2 was de-buttoned before I got it, and one of these days, I would like it to have its mud button again.

Thanks for the offer but I think after spending all this money on it I'm better off keeping it, at least for a little while. I just bought a new dimarzio dp120 humbucker for it so hopefully that helps reduce the hum. I'm thinking about getting rid of the push button if that doesn't work.

Sometime before I got it, my bass got a Dimarzio One pickup in the neck position, which is why it has no button. I'm not sure exactly what the button does, but I'm pretty sure I would have to go back to the original style Gibson pickup to use one. The Dimarzio pickup is hotter than hot, and I can't imagine enhancing it in any way. I don't have any experience with Dimarzio humbuckers, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Eventually, I would like to be able to put my bass back to as close to original as possible, but since I have had it 30 years and haven't changed it a bit, there's perhaps a bit of historical accuracy in leaving it the way it is. It sure sounds good as is.

Sometime before I got it, my bass got a Dimarzio One pickup in the neck position, which is why it has no button. I'm not sure exactly what the button does, but I'm pretty sure I would have to go back to the original style Gibson pickup to use one. The Dimarzio pickup is hotter than hot, and I can't imagine enhancing it in any way. I don't have any experience with Dimarzio humbuckers, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Eventually, I would like to be able to put my bass back to as close to original as possible, but since I have had it 30 years and haven't changed it a bit, there's perhaps a bit of historical accuracy in leaving it the way it is. It sure sounds good as is.

If it sounds good I'd keep it the way it is. If it ain't broken don't fix it [smile] ! Thanks for the info on the dimarzio!

Archived