Gibson Brands Forums

Bridge pins

MLD88

Hi guys,

I've got an EJ200, just wanted to check something regarding the pins. When placing the pins into the bridge, how far should I push thep pins in? Should they be in as far as they can go, or should I leave them sticking out a bit?

Thanks in advance

Hi guys,

I've got an EJ200, just wanted to check something regarding the pins. When placing the pins into the bridge, how far should I push thep pins in? Should they be in as far as they can go, or should I leave them sticking out a bit?

Thanks in advance

When installing pins, the ball of the strings should all be tight up against the underside of the sound board. You should be able to, before threading the string into the tuning machine, 'gig' the ball up in down in the pin's slot while the pin is installed. The heaviest 1 or 2 strings may not be 'giggable'.

Apply no more force to installing the pins than is necessary to keep them from falling out from the force of gravity. If your thumb turns red from pressing the pin in, you're using too much force. If you have trouble removing the pins with just your fingers, you're using too much force. Just a small oompf, that's it.

My current, every day player is a flat top Yamaha. When I went to medium strings 13's, I think, the pin slot was too narrow for the low E string to allow that pin to be seated as low as the others. But the pin is snug, the ball is against the sound board and the pin hasn't fallen out in over 18 months.

The pin does not hold the string in the hole. It plugs the hole so the string's ball cannot roll into the hole.

Did you know that when strings and pins are inserted properly, on a guitar and bridge in good shape, that when strung to pitch, you could pull the pins out and the string should stay? ;) Sometimes I think people believe the pins are like nails and they have to really drive them home to hold the string in place lol. This can screw up your pins, cause them to break off in the bridge, or worse yet.....split the bridge across the pin holes! P.S., Don't try to pull your pins out while tuned to pitch, lol you COULD lose an eye!

Archived