Gibson Brands Forums

The quest for perfect tone.........

Watersilk

lol..Boutique amps really don't follow a set of "rules" except to say they are usually built on more of a custom basis (not always) by a small company (not always) with the intention of being top quality. More geared toward someone willing to pay a more premium price for the best available than getting the cheapest version of something that works. The term generally applies to amps built with this philosophy regardless of it being an origional design or a copy.

I'm sure you read quite a bit about Victoria so I won't repeat, but he does make versions of gibson amps as well. I am not sure how close they sound to a vintage Gibson, just to be fair. His real and true specialty is his knowledge and ability to capture the sound and mojo of early Fender tweed amps. He obviously has a great deal of insight and knowledge that serves to make others amps sound great and they seem to share something, but I haven't tried all of them and I am just an opinion myself anyway.

It really started for me when I was playing out quite a bit and I was using mainly a deluxe reverb. At one point I got to play through a Regal and I really liked the way the volume control on the guitar worked with that amp. Blacfaced (and silverfaced) Fenders have a tendancy to get brighter as you turn the volume up. The regal got louder and just compressed more. While I was seriously considering getting one, I went and played another gig and got to plug into a '58 Bassman, and at that point I was hooked. Vintage tweed, Victoria, or bust for me.

Around here, there is/was a lot of vintage tweed Fenders floating around as there was a shop that deals with them and rebuilds them, as well as a GOOD amp tech. A lot of dealers with the fender reissues as well, and a Victoria dealer.

Trying to shorten this up. What initially hooked me on the tweed/Victoria thing was the way the amp(s) responded to the volume control, compressing and overdriving with a turn of the knob. It ended up for me I really got into the el-84 Vicky's, the way they drove. I initially thought that because of the way the input responded to the guitar volume, it was a tweed circuit, but Mark says it ain't. The victorilux/victoriette are actually new and origional designs.

Hey Cats, don't forget that you can probably focus all energy and $$$$$ on hand built/boutique amps -Stein- Victoria are amazing but then consider companies that "are really boutique" or shall I refrase that "were boutique amps until mass production" for example Mesa amps that were exclusively made for Carlos Santana originally,

Then there's Matchless, etc. etc.

I really believe guys that at the end of the day "one man's treasure is another's trash"

Like I said, early Marshalls were based on Fenders and so on!!!

I personally, and mean personally have for a reasonably length of time always reverted back to Marshalls-one sort or another as I know the sound, know what to expect and can tweek them to my liking!!!!

If you followed the Disco Groove movement that was happening in the 70's and 80's -especially the black American soul/disco underground sounds, at least 90% of that sound was coming from Marshalls of one sort or another-and believe me those cats can really play!!!

Enough said

Cheers cats, Mick from OZ!!! \:D/

Flattys must be a ZA thing only. Basically, take a chicken, gut it, crush it flat and cook it on the braai, whole.

There's this wholesaler near us who imports all things African, I'll ask him about Camelthorn. I did get around a lot. I used to work in travel, got rather good at complex ticket contracts, ended up as a round the world ticket consultant and traveled a fair amount.

I like the TSL 60, not as loud as you might think, I can get it up into the middle third at home. It would certainly play a large pub/small club with headroom.

I bought it many years ago when I was in a band but the other guitarist/singer got addicted to heroin and became a problem so it drifted apart. I'd quite like to get a blues band going, we'll see. At the moment I just do casual projects with old friends I was in a band with over 15 years ago. One is now running a charity radio station along with disabled kids and he plays some of his stuff and their stuff. I am doing a recording with him soon (got postponed due to equipment failure).

I also have a little home studio but I'm still gathering equipment. Next step is a few SM57s and we're there but it's a small room so more than 3 people would be an issue.

Ah, spatchcock! The Vikings did a similar thing with people! Camelthorn isn't really an African beer at all, it's almost the same as a decent German wheat beer, cloudy with yeast....... and quite strong; think of an Erdinger... and your there.

Travellers to this part of the world..... oh a sad pursuit if ever there was one. I used to be out a lot, stay at a beautiful place, camping, and the 'tourists' would arrive. They would look jaded and exhausted from a long drive of many hours, in a rush they would make camp, eat, over the washing up, I would chat with them, and to my horror find that they were leaving early the next morning..... !!!! They had no time to ever enjoy where they were, or understand anything much about where they were. To me, it seemed as though they never left their hectic European city life at all. However, I envy you if you get cheap flights!

The home studio sounds fun, I would love to hear something you have recorded...... the Marshall models on my Pod all sound great, but I live in a very small house, sharing a small portion of wall with my neighbours, so not completely detached, so I have to keep the volume levels down low....... yes, sad I know! Luckily, I have an office at work where I can use an amp, lunchtimes....... oddly, the manager objects if I play during work hours....... !!!! :)

Guest FarnsBarns

The 'tourists' would arrive. They would look jaded and exhausted from a long drive of many hours, in a rush they would make camp, eat, over the washing up, I would chat with them, and to my horror find that they were leaving early the next morning..... !!!! They had no time to ever enjoy where they were, or understand anything much about where they were. To me, it seemed as though they never left their hectic European city life at all.

It's sad isn't it. I've never travelled like that (other than for work). I am very lucky in that I have Zambian, South African and Zimbabwean friends so cheap flights and free accommodation. My friend from Zimbabwe's father is a qualified guide, we have this plan to do a week treking in Mana Pools. It never quite seems to be the right time but it will happen.

Archived