Gibson Brands Forums

Copyright. Huh?

Riverside

We went to see Clapton last week at the Gibson Amphitheater (horrible venue, BTW. That's another topic) - great show, terrible venue.

But I was struck by the presence of two "buskers" (I'll bet they had to pay someone): One guy playing a sax over some smooth-jazz backing tracks (Kenny-G wannabe) and a rapper/comedian doing his thing over Michael Jackson tunes blaring from a boombox.

I wonder how ASCAP/BMI dealt with that? Or do you suppose that Universal gets a pass?

Both were right in the middle of the "City Walk".

Both were really bad.

(oops - wrong forum.... meant for the lounge, but...)

Ascap-bmi don't see deep pockets or anybody to intimidate and to ask a park operator to have "private" people stop playing music if it's not creating a nuisance is impractical and probably of questionable legality. Although it wouldn't surprise me if the question hadn't been asked and the answer returned that a lawsuit wouldn't be cost-effective on any level.

Now if they were hired by the property owner... a different game.

m

I'm not familiar with the venue in question, but licenses are issued as a "blanket". If the venue operator, or concert promoter, has a license for the concert, it covers all performances in the venue or on the property for the licensed period.

I doubt the Amphitheater had anything to do with it. If the buskers were outside on the side walk, they were on public property. Permission to be there depends on the municipality. Some municipalities, ignore it, some ban it, some embrace it, some tax it.

ASCAP? I'd just love to see them try it. If they have any sense about them, they'd leave it alone. But, the way they go after hole in the wall joints, with a net worth less than 5 figures, with a weekend cover band, tells me they ain't got much sense.

I'm not familiar with the venue in question, but licenses are issued as a "blanket". If the venue operator, or concert promoter, has a license for the concert, it covers all performances in the venue or on the property for the licensed period.

That makes the most sense.

FWIW, apparently Universal City Walk holds auditions for "buskers".

They don't just show up.

That makes the most sense.

FWIW, apparently Universal City Walk holds auditions for "buskers".

They don't just show up.

Universal CITY. Ah that is a beast of a different color. Kind of private corporation, kind of unincorporated, kind of city, kind of not.... I suspect Universal Studios can do pretty much as they please.

Archived