Gibson Brands Forums

Putting P-90's in an Epi-Dot?

Musician Named GoB

Hey everyone, I've been researching this, and can't find any info that pertains to my specific question, so any feedback from y'all would be greatly appreciated.

I have an Epi-Dot that I replaced stock Pup's with Gibson 57's, which sounded pretty good. But I recently got a Gibson ES-335 satin finish that just blows the Epi out the water, tone wise. So, since I've got my dream HB tone, I'd like to experiment with P-90's.

First, what p-90's would you suggest? I've seen the Gibson P-90's, how are they?

Second, would P-90's fit in the place of the 57's? Would they have to have the 'Dog Ear' tabs on the sides?

Is this at all possible to pull off? Thanks again for your input, I've never owned a guitar with P-90's and have never played with them, so I'm seeking some wisdom.

The P90 is going to fit in the routing for the humbucker but you will have trouble finding a trim ring to fit. and it will look out of place. I don't think you would want to drill more holes in the guitar for a dog ear P90. so you should look into a Gibson P94 that is basically a P90 in a humbucker size. The P94 will fit the humbucker trim ring.

click here for P94

Try this for some good reading about pickups

p94.jpg

Actually, just read the description from the link you provided, very helpful. I went to the guitar center description and it's a little misleading but the Gibson description is better. Again thanks.

Has anyone used or heard the P-94's? How are they? Any other suggestions for P-90's in a HB 'hole'?

Actually, just read the description from the link you provided, very helpful. I went to the guitar center description and it's a little misleading but the Gibson description is better. Again thanks.

Has anyone used or heard the P-94's? How are they? Any other suggestions for P-90's in a HB 'hole'?

Nick Valensi of the Strokes has long had P-94s in his Epiphone Riviera. And apparently he also has a Dot with them in: NikiWiki. Anyway, any Strokes album should give you a pretty good sense of how they would sound in your guitar (though your tailpiece will make for some difference). You'll have to make sure you're listening to NV and not Albert Hammond Jr's Strat (which generally sounds cleaner when they're both playing rhythm parts).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOypSnKFHrE

It seems that humbucker-sized P90s, and P90s in general, have gotten pretty populer in the last few years. One of them is the Phat Cat, which Seymour Duncan created for Hamer to use in the first Newport, which got rave reviews. There are many others at different price points, including the very popular GFS Mean 90, which is pretty big with the budget-minded Epiphone crowd. I have them in a Dot, and I think they compare quite well with more-expensive pickups in other P90 guitars I've played. Kent Armstrong and several other aftermarket makers offer similar fare.

Archived