Gibson Brands Forums

Why did you start playing guitar?

Kimbabig

from as early as i can remember i was always listening to decent music thanks to my dad! deep purple, pink floyd, lynyrd skynyrd and the stones to name just a few. my dad is also a massive dire straits fan and he used to watch the 'on the night' video every saturday morning, and the more i watched it with him the more and more i wanted to play guitar like knopfler!! he reluctantly bought me a yamaha c-40 classical guitar when i was young and said many times 'youll never play it', proved him wrong!!! as i am growning up i am finding loads of bands from the 60s and 70s that just have unbelievable guitarists compared to now and it just makes me wanna learn new songs every day!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Without playing guitar, I would die..........When I came out of the womb, I had the doctor tune my guitar for me, and I had the cute nurse clean off that slimy crap of my guitar........

My older sisters had Elvis and Roy Orbison records in the sixties. Between listening to them, seeing James Burton on Ozzie and Harriet, and the rock bands on Ed Sullivan, especially The Beatles, guitar playing just seemed like a fun thing to try. I bought a Kingston electric when I was 13 and have been playing pretty much non-stop since then. I went through different phases....rock, country, blues, jazz, bluegrass, gospel, back to rock, back to country, etc. It has been a fun ride. I've taught others to play, just as some guys taught me. I've gone through about 25 guitars and realized I probably could have just stuck with my first good electric.

I think I got started after I was listening to a lot of Joan Baez records in high school and I wanted to learn to play like her. I spent many nights falling asleep listening to her sing and play. I think the sound got imprinted in my subconscious.

Archived