Gibson Brands Forums

I found a 58 Flying V in a pawn shop

elvendio

I found this guitar in a pawn shop today. They wanted $4000 for it and when I looked up on the internet what it is realy worth I almost crapped myself. Thing is where am I going to find A buyer to pay 6 figures for this old beater.

If it is what you think, you'll have no problem finding a buyer. You would be best served by consigning it with a reputable vintage guitar dealer, let them find the buyer (that's what their in business for).

But you also must know that Gibson did do a reissue of the Korina V's in the ealy 80's, and of course, there is a LARGE difference in value. There is also a few technical differences in the guitars (as there is with ALL Gibson reissues) that makes it obvious to those "in the know".

Post most of the serial number and I can tell you exactly what you have there, and post more detailed photos. A full frontal only tells us it is a beautiful guitar. If you do intend to turn it, I would be glad to give you a couple of names of reputable vintage guitar dealers here in the USA.

The photo in the first post looks like the real thing. The photos on the bottom are of an '82 re-issue. The '58 had a 2 piece body glued so that the grain meets at an angle, following the outline of the "V," the re-issue has grain running parallel to the center joint. Also, the '58 came with a white pickguard and jack plate, the re-issue with black. Finally, the "Made in USA" mark by the serial number means post 1970's. Pawn shops and antique dealers usually look up values for these sorts of things, so finding a bargain sleeper ain't easy!

Archived