Gibson Brands Forums

The Sky is Crying

G McBride

You all know that I started taking some lessons back in September. I am another of those people that are self taught and have played for 45 years. Now that I am older and more patient I thought I should know more.

This week we started working on Stevie Ray's "The Sky Is Crying". Finally getting the guy to understand that I am not going to be a shredder, I want to make my guitar talk with some feeling.

I am using either my 359 or my 339 and the instructor loves them both.

Any of the rest of you still taking lessons, there were several of us senior guys doing it a couple of months ago.

You all know that I started taking some lessons back in September. I am another of those people that are self taught and have played for 45 years. Now that I am older and more patient I thought I should know more.

This week we started working on Stevie Ray's "The Sky Is Crying". Finally getting the guy to understand that I am not going to be a shredder, I want to make my guitar talk with some feeling.

I am using either my 359 or my 339 and the instructor loves them both.

Any of the rest of you still taking lessons, there were several of us senior guys doing it a couple of months ago.

I'm still at it. Missed about a month until last Thursday.

One of the smarter moves I've made. My knowledge and ability has moved so much quicker with the lessons. Of course my knowledge of the neck has improved greatly but I think one of the biggest things is confidence. My preferred music to play is definitely along the blues line. I can really groove to it with feeling and some finesse now. No longer just playing notes. I've played with feeling for some time now but I am much better at translating that feeling to the guitar and out the amp. Most of the time I don't even look at where I'm playing unless I hear something awful.

It sounds like you and I share a few things. 339 included.

Dave

I keep a guitar or two in my office and every time I walked by mine today I picked it up and played the licks. I am hoping to go to my lesson next week and just nail this one. The past couple of weeks I have kind of been a slacker because an old friend of mine has been coming over to jam with me and of course playing and singing is a lot more fun that practicing an assignment.

Anyway I plan to make up for being a bad student this week. I am still playing and still loving it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 63, been playing off and on since I was 13. (Remember The Ventures and Duane Eddy? But I was also listening to Johnny Smith). About 5 years back I hooked up with a jazz guitarist who is 25 years older than me! I felt stuck at the time but, since then I feel like my eyes, and ears are open. I would encourage anyone at any age to keep learning and growing. If that means getting a teacher, well, that can be great. For me it took a while to find the right person - knowledgeable and compatible. Fortunately they are out there.

I'm 63, been playing off and on since I was 13. (Remember The Ventures and Duane Eddy? But I was also listening to Johnny Smith). About 5 years back I hooked up with a jazz guitarist who is 25 years older than me! I felt stuck at the time but, since then I feel like my eyes, and ears are open. I would encourage anyone at any age to keep learning and growing. If that means getting a teacher, well, that can be great. For me it took a while to find the right person - knowledgeable and compatible. Fortunately they are out there.

So many great guitarists out there to inspire....

It's that kind of instrument...the 'Lap Piano' as George van Eps used to call it

My first UK influence was Bert Weedon

Followed in due course by Hank Marvin and Scotty Moore

V

:-({|=

lessons are great. I have found that I prefer to take a few lessons with someone and then move on. Every good player tends to have a few tricks and awesome tips, but not much more. You don't need to know a whole bunch of theory to really play well.

Archived