Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 MC short or long scale? SCGC VS ?

jooonnn

This might be a dumb question but I was just wondering if J-45 MC's only came in short scale. I have 2007 and have never thought if it were a short or a long scale. I know the AJ's come in both but I was wondering if someone could shed some light upon my uncertainty. On a side note as well, has anyone played a SCGC Vintage Southerner? i saw a link on youtube.

There's not a single dealer in my state according to the scgc site but i was wondering if anyone could tell me about their experiences with it. Thanks!

jon

i played one in toronto recently and found it to be a bit brighter than the j-45 though i do not know if the specs compare. they are well made, beautiful guitars but, with a boutique price. this one was several hundred dollars more than the gibson j-45mc. was it worth it? that's up to the listener/owner/buyer. this guitar is beautiful in every way but i would have gone with the gibson myself - for i found the differences to be negligable. that guy in the vid is a great player, though.

Short scale. Gibson has made short runs of a l/s hog slope but never a production model.

Re SCGC, its what you'd get if you took the basic specs of a factory guitar and built it in a small shop with TLC: best aspects of the breed but maybe not as funky as the original. For that price point, Id look into a Kevin Kopp or John Walker. They both worked in Bozeman and have more of a Gibson aesthetic. All are more of an instrument than the MC, which is really an A/E model- it isnt going to be as lush. A mid point between the 2 is Gibson's TV line.

Archived