Gibson Brands Forums

Static charge on LP

Flick

Hey there,

I need to see if anyone has run into this...I bought a new LP Studio Pro Plus - exclusive to Musicians Friend. The first one I received arrived with scratches on it. I sent it back. While playing it I did notice that it had a significant amount of static popping and crackling when you would run your hand up and down the neck or across the top of the body by the 3 way switch. Now that I have received one without the scratches, the static noise on the neck and body is still present. I searched the internet and found some comments on static on new guitars, particularly ones with pickguards. This guitar does not have a pickguard. Some posts suggest rubbing static free dryer sheets on the guitars? I tried it and now my guitar smells like freshly done laundry...and the static is still there. I have a worn brown LP studio and a Epi Standard Plus that in the same environment with the same amp/cord do not make any static noise. The Gibson representative told me to take it to an authorized repair shop...Which is miles from where I live. I think if it is not going to go away with time or an easy fix, I will have to return it. Any suggestions?

Hey there,

I need to see if anyone has run into this...I bought a new LP Studio Pro Plus - exclusive to Musicians Friend. The first one I received arrived with scratches on it. I sent it back. While playing it I did notice that it had a significant amount of static popping and crackling when you would run your hand up and down the neck or across the top of the body by the 3 way switch. Now that I have received one without the scratches, the static noise on the neck and body is still present. I searched the internet and found some comments on static on new guitars, particularly ones with pickguards. This guitar does not have a pickguard. Some posts suggest rubbing static free dryer sheets on the guitars? I tried it and now my guitar smells like freshly done laundry...and the static is still there. I have a worn brown LP studio and a Epi Standard Plus that in the same environment with the same amp/cord do not make any static noise. The Gibson representative told me to take it to an authorized repair shop...Which is miles from where I live. I think if it is not going to go away with time or an easy fix, I will have to return it. Any suggestions?

I have only had this happen with strat's or tele's/

I would wait a little bit......when all the cold and dry weather is gone for good. I have static issues ( mostly with fender's ), but a little on the Gibby's too. Once the relative humidity rises, a good clean and polish and waxing will likely solve the issue! :) If this doesn't work, THEN I would start looking in to removing the rear access panels of the guitar to see how the electronics are shielded. I bet it will go away though, once Spring gets in to full swing!

Archived