Gibson Brands Forums

Cleaning my new old ES-120?

runnamukk

Hi all, Just pulled this beauty out of its case for the first time in prolly twenty years. (I just got it from its original owner) There is some slight mildewing (?) around the periphery of both the top and back. How do I clean this without buggering the finish? Is there a forum for this? Don't want anyone to have to rehash something for me that's already out here, but I couldn't find it. THANKS!

Hi all, Just pulled this beauty out of its case for the first time in prolly twenty years. (I just got it from its original owner) There is some slight mildewing (?) around the periphery of both the top and back. How do I clean this without buggering the finish? Is there a forum for this? Don't want anyone to have to rehash something for me that's already out here, but I couldn't find it. THANKS!

Hi runnamukk, welcome to the forum. My go to for cleaning guitar finishes would be NAPTHA. It comes in lighter fluid usually but recently they haven't used it as much. I would get a bottle of Ronsonol lighter fluid (check the label to make sure it has naptha. Put a bit of it on a soft cloth and see if that will clean it up. Is the finished checked or cracked and chipped? If it is just checked (cracks in the laquer) then it will probably be safe to use naptha. Some other guys here may be able to expand further.

Post some pics! Good luck!

Yep, good old Naptha won't harm the finish. Just be careful and use only a 100% cotton cloth when rubbing it down ;) I wouldn't use a polish on the finish if there is any cracks or checking of the finish.......just a good scrubbin with the naptha! :D Post some pics when you get her all dolled up!

Lighter fluid has traditonally been naptha, but I don't know what else it might have in it these days. You can find pint or quart cans of naptha at Lowes or Home depot in the section with all the other solvents such as mineral spirits, acetone, etc. Don't get them mixed up! Use something other than naptha, and you may end up with a "natural" finish rather than a 'burst!

Look forward to seeing a pic or two....

Well here ya go. Way too many to choose from, kind of lost my mind a little. One or two before, and a few after. Came out really nice. Thank you all for the encouragement and suggestions. I used felt, naptha, 303 on the plastic, and Lube Job (electronics cleaner/lube) on the pots. New Ernie Ball Power Slinkys give it a low E that'll vibrate your ribs. Sweet!

Side Note: I'm only allowed 500K file size, and this guitar is just too pretty, so you only get one 'after' shot.

Run through the PA, it's the cleanest, prettiest thing you ever heard!

PS - I used Wonder Wipes on the fretboard.

post-32273-093712400 1302206828_thumb.jpg

Archived