Gibson Brands Forums

Ephiphone AJ35S-NA

mccallum

hey all-

I just picked up this guitar (Epiphone AJ35S-NA) and just looking to find a bit of history behind it. i.e. woods used etc. as this is my first guitar and I have no clue. :)

The serial number is R98D 0246 and I know it was made in April of 1998 and has the 125th anniversary dates on the fret board (12th fret).

I put d'addario EXP16's (phosphor bronze) on it and it sounds amazing, if anyone could recommend a better string combination, that would also be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

0404111940.jpg

hey all-

I just picked up this guitar (Epiphone AJ35S-NA) and just looking to find a bit of history behind it. i.e. woods used etc. as this is my first guitar and I have no clue. :)

The serial number is R98D 0246 and I know it was made in April of 1998 and has the 125th anniversary dates on the fret board (12th fret).

I put d'addario EXP16's (phosphor bronze) on it and it sounds amazing, if anyone could recommend a better string combination, that would also be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

0404111940.jpg

I'm no expert but I think this is an early version of what is now the AJ200, Solid Spruce top with laminated mahogany back and sides. I had one in VSB and loved it - lovely tone - sounded like a guitar a lot more expensive. Great playability too. They are great strings too in my opinion! good luck with your new guitar and happy strumming! [thumbup]

That's a good brand and style of string. However, what makes one brand and style of string better than another is your own personal playing style. Finger-pickers have better results with different strings that flat-pickers have. Strummers have different string requirements than pickers.

Then there's the issue of playing style and personal taste. Do you want your guitar to sound smooth or twangy?

From what I gather from talking to others with more experience than I have, guitar strings nowadays are like sex. When they're good, they're great. But even when they're bad, they're still pretty good.

From what I gather from talking to others with more experience than I have, guitar strings nowadays are like sex. When they're good, they're great. But even when they're bad, they're still pretty good.

And...... (begs to be asked....) ...and if they're great from the get-go??? Mind blowing??? Swapping strings can be a fun, relatively inexpensive way of changing tone, for better or worse, but ..... cheaper than swapping out wives/partners...heh

• 9 months later...

Thanks to Jon S. with Gibson Customer Service!

The Epiphone AJ-35S model was introduced in 1998, and was available until 2001.

US MSRP in 1998 was $679.

Model AJ35S

Hardware: Gold

Scale: 25.5”

Nut width: 1.68”

Neck Joint: Set

Neck Material: Mahogany

Fretboard Material: Rosewood

Inlay: Dot

Binding: Beige

Body Material: Mahogany

Top Material: Solid Spruce