Gibson Brands Forums

60 Reissue Plain Top

kydude

I am really wanting to try out a slim 60's neck Custom LP. I currenty have an '09 R8 plain top, but can't get used to the neck. The 60 plain top seems to be in my price range, but very few are available. The added cost of a 60 Traditional could be considered if I could work a decent trade in. I love my Faded Tobacco, can't say I've seen Autumn Burst. Just thought I would throw this out there, any input would be appreciated.

My link

I am really wanting to try out a slim 60's neck Custom LP. I currenty have an '09 R8 plain top, but can't get used to the neck. The 60 plain top seems to be in my price range, but very few are available. The added cost of a 60 Traditional could be considered if I could work a decent trade in. I love my Faded Tobacco, can't say I've seen Autumn Burst. Just thought I would throw this out there, any input would be appreciated.

My link

You may want to consider driving to a dealer that has a few for you to try, but call first. Like me, you don't have too much under 4 hours away. I know the Guitar Center in Nashville "usually" has a bunch of Custom shop guitars and great to talk to. I have not bought from them but it is a Guitar Center and almost everybody has bought from Guitar Center. Some of the store managers will order in a guitar for you to try without the commitment of buying and returning it. Persoanlly I would contact Willcutt. I have dealt with them and their customer service is excellent. (and a nice bunch of people too). Try calling First Quality and see what they have in stock too. With any store you will get less on trade in than selling it yourself, but you also will not have all the hassles of selling it. Don't forget the 30 over 60 neck profile as an option. (0.30 larger than a 60 profile and smaller than a 59 profile) Maybe even the great folks at Dexter Music.

I would not rule out calling the Custom shop dealers like Wildwood, Dave's, Rainbow, etc.but you should really try the neck profiles to know what you want before dealing with a long distance dealer.

It could also be worth a trip to Dallas for the weekend of April 15-17 for the Dallas guitar show and you would be able to try every neck profile out there Maybe even do some trading and come home with a great Les Paul. Drive down on Frdiay, got to the show on Sat. and back home on Sunday. The vintage guitars you can see there is fantastic. See, hold and play a real 50's Les Paul.

Willcutt Guitars

406 Rosemont Garden

Lexington, KY 40503

United States

Guitar Center

721 Thompson Lane

Nashville, TN 37204

(615) 297-7770

First Quality Music

7006 Trade Port Drive

Louisville, KY 40258

United States

Dexter Music Center

416 N Harris Drive

Dexter, MO 63841

United States

Thanks for the replies. I'm familiar with all the closest stores, and have shopped them all. My question was more about the model and color. The selection at Wildwood looks great Joe, but I'm in Louisville, Ky, not Louisville, Co., :lol: The colors they have in stock there though helps a lot.

I would be hesitant to buy one sight unseen on line, my local favorite store, Willis Music, would work with me to help fulfill my desires. There are just so many models.

I love the neck on my Standard SG, that style on an LP would be great.

I believe there is no "perfect" model, and I'm also in no hurry.

Thanks again, Kydude.

Sounds like you are looking for a 60 reissue. Your favorite store should be able to get the neck profile you want and the color, if it is a normal production color, with just one phone call to Gibson. Most of the SG standards I have held had what is a 60's slim neck. If your local store does not have one, I would still say that you should drive to a store that does have some to check them out even if you do not end up buying from them. If you don't want to mail order (or have a store order one for you) then the only other option is to go where the guitars are and look at all of them. There are not too many models with a slim 60's neck. A lot of those you see on Wildwood's site are special runs in special colors only available to them and not other stores. I would think that Willis Music should be able to answer all of your questions about models, neck profiles and colors, or at least call and get the answers for you. I would still try to track down a Guitar Center G0 as it is a bargain, like getting a custom hop guitar for a USA price. I have heard many good things about a G0 (Guitar Center exclusive)

To the OP, some info was posted that might not be correct.from what I understand and Joe can help in this area if I'm am wrong. the 30/60 neck is not an option on a Gibson Historic 1960 RI , or any other Historic RI. The Idea of the Historic is get as close to the originals as possilble, untill the next improvements, LOL !!!! To my knowledge Gibson did not make this type of neck carve in the 50's or 60's . or untill a few years ago.

The Colors you ask about (Faded Tobacco and Autumn Burst) sound like USA model colors.

The guitars are made in 2 different shops. So they painting is not done the same. The Historic RI's use mostly Historic colors with some runs of specail colors now and again, like for Wildwood.Take a look at the Gibson Web-site. that will give you the basic info you are looking for.

Joe, we are friends, And I have a world of respect for you. what's with the pitch, man.? we are here 'cause we love Gibson , Yes? :blink:

Thanks for all the replies. I located a few G0's online, in Lemon Burst, and called my local GC to see if they could get me one of those or order me one. They will get back with me hopefully. [-o< I did try out the asmmetrical neck on a Standard last week, sooo many choices! I do love the advertised price on the GC R0, and my mind is set on a Custom.

I now see why people have multiple LP's....

To the OP, some info was posted that might not be correct.from what I understand and Joe can help in this area if I'm am wrong. the 30/60 neck is not an option on a Gibson Historic 1960 RI , or any other Historic RI.

jamman, a dealer can order almost any Historic RI with a 30/60 neck, but very few order them as they are usually an additional "upcharge" that they can not recover at the time of sale. If a customer looks at a R8 with a 58 profile and a R8 with a 30/60 they will usually see some price difference and this can be confusing when comparing them on-line and not in person. Some dealers get them and eat the upcharge or they order enough of the 30/60 profile that the Custom shop does not add an upcharge.

Thanks Joe, that is correct. There are many Historic Reissues out there with a 30/60 neck already. A Gibson Custom Dealer can order one, but there may be an upcharge. It is between a 59 and a 60 neck in size and the dimensions were taken from a vintage 59 that was brought into the Custom shop. As in the 50's each neck is individually sanded to size so each one can be a little different. I have had a 57 RI that had a neck between a 59 and 60 but it was before they called it a 30/60. I have also held several 57 Goldtops with 30/60 necks. The "upcharge" is for a deviation from a "normal" production guitar, like getting a 60 profile on a 54, because a 54 would normally have a large profile neck. Because each neck is profiled by hand you should try the actual guitar you would like to buy. If an an approximate size is close enough then you should try a bunch to find the profile that suits you best. Care should be taken because not each different store employee knows the correct name or size of each profile. I have seen a manager in a large store hand me a guitar that he said had a nice 59 profile and it was actually larger more like an early 50's, or a 58. Some sizes are very close which is why you must hold the one you are thinking about buying or trust the person on the other end of the phone if you are ordering when you can't see it. There are many of those great guys at the dealers that are spot on in their description of a neck. Years ago I had to drive from the St. Louis, Missouri area to the Denver, CO area to Wildwood to try a bunch of them because I didn't know what I liked and there was no dealer closer with a large selection (meaning more than one Historic in stock). I hope your GC gets that one in for you to try but you will them be limited to it and nothing to compare it to. I still suggest that you go where there are a few to hold until you knwo what profile you like best.

kydude, you have stated "Custom" in several places such as: " I do love the advertised price on the GC R0, and my mine is set on a Custom". Just to clarify, are you looking at a Les Paul Custom, or a Les Paul made in the Custom Shop? (Most of us are talking about a Les Paul made in the Custom shop, not the Custom model) You should be looking at the R0 or G0 models which would have the smallest necks from the Historic RI, unless one of the other Historics was special ordered with a different neck profile.

Sanding the neck to profile:

neckroll1.jpg

neckroll2.jpg

I did mean a "Custom Shop" guitar, sorry for any confusion.

I had time today so I went to my local GC, it is a new location only open about a month, and I have played every LP they have. The sales manager was great, we called almost every GC location that showed still having the G0 Plain Top VOS still in stock. 3 could say for sure they still had the guitar but maybe not the case/candy, a few more couldn't even be sure they did. It seemed unlikely that I would be satisfied in the end. We came to an agreement on a Flame Top Standard he had in stock. It has the asmmetrical neck, and was the nicest model he had in my opinion. It's not a Historic made in the Custom Shop, but I'm very pleased.

Now I have 2 LPs...can life get any better?

Thanks for the help.

Archived