Gibson Brands Forums

What inspired you to learn to play the THUNDERSTICK?

animalfarm

Yea, you can blow speakers. Blowing speakers is actually a problem for all of us.

Guitar amps that make great bass amps I think are Marshalls, Sunn, Ampeg. In a lot of cases they actually ARE bass amps with only a slight change to the EQ and different speakers.

When it comes to the speakers, sometimes they are actually the same speakers. Marshall would put the higher rated speakers in the amps for bass and these eventually got used for guitar. In fenders, it would be the same thing, except a bass cab would have maybe 4 speakers vs the guitar cab having 2. And some of the BEST bass speakers, like the JBL's they used were also sold for guitar amps.

So, now it is popular for guitar amps to use OVER rated speakers, so an amp like say, a 50 watt tube amp with 2 50 watt twelves might actually BE closer to a top notch PRACTICE amp for bass. You just have to be aware that the maker didn't intend it to be a bass amp so you have to pay attention to how much juice you are putting through it. When there is too much for it with a bass, you can easily hear it because the speaker will distort or bottom out.

I misself use a Squier Affinity P-Bass that I got for cheap and stuck and EMG Select pickup in, and use it for recording bass on all my tracks. [thumbup]

I'm a guitarist first and foremost, but very nearly became a bassist. I blame it on this guy:

5148536492_4c2c360f1e.jpg

Puts out some of the best flippin' bass lines I've ever heard.[crying] In keeping with RTH's comment about not overplaying;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF9ZhUnNXxw&feature=fvwrel

That and I heard you got an ounce of heroin with every bass... [biggrin]

Squier makes good stuff. I'd suggest the Squier Vintage Modified Jazz bass.

Quality and inexpensive...and they look sweet too!

I misself use a Squier Affinity P-Bass...

I'm looking at both now. Get this - I had found a Squier Vint. Mod Jazz Bass in

"Condition 3 - some cosmetic issues" for $191.00. Only thing wrong was it had a scuff

on one of the Horns. Duhhhhhh - I looked, and knew I could EASILY buff it out. Would have saved

over $100.00. It was there UNTIL we discussed it HERE, then...."POOF" - Gone. [cursing]

The $100 savings was going to go for a Thunderbird Pro Amp pack. Dang it! Gotta remember lots

of folks are reading this thread! [biggrin] Enjoy "MY" bass, you sneaky dog!

[crying][crying][crying]

• 3 years later...

My three influences:

1. Steve Rowe of Mortification. Christian deathmetal. My introduction to heavy metal and metal evangelism.

2. Primus, of course. First song I ever heard was My Name Is Mud. First album was Tales From The Punchbowl.

3. Jazz band. I learned to play trombone, then urged my friend who owned a bass to try it out. He owned a bass. I didn't say he could play it.

• 4 weeks later...

I find myself spending more and more on the dark side for the simple reason that it's more and more where I feel comfortable.

Having bought a bass (pretty much because deep down I wanted one)I searched the internet for lessons and came across a masterclass by Jaco Pastorius. As I watched and played along there was this realisation that, unlike a 6 string where I had to struggle, this stuff was easy. What Paco played so could I, not to any where the same degree but when he showcased finding harmonics up and down the fret board they were there under my fingers. Go from nails to pads, alter the angle of attack, mute on the attack or the back of the pick - easy.

I know I'm in denial despite many of my favourite guitarists being bass players.

Is there a cure?

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived