Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird or Dove Stamped on Headstock

Shimokitazawa

When did Gibson stop stamping Hummingbird or Dove on the headstock of their actoustic guitars? I have a 1990 Hummingbird and it is stamped in white on the headstock. Just curious when they stopped doing that. Thanks!

PS,

How do I know what series my Hummingbird is? As I said above, it's 1990 but is there a way to find out if it is Vintage, True Vintage, Artist, Pro, Custom, etc.? Thank you!

post-27177-003560100 1303228069_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I'm not sure when we stopped putting the inscription "Hummingbird" on our truss rod covers, but the guitar appears to me to be a "standard" Hummingbird. I have attached the specifications taken from the Gruhns Guide to Vintage Guitars.

Thank you very much for your reply!

When did Gibson stop stamping Hummingbird or Dove on the headstock of their actoustic guitars? I have a 1990 Hummingbird and it is stamped in white on the headstock. Just curious when they stopped doing that. Thanks!

PS,

How do I know what series my Hummingbird is? As I said above, it's 1990 but is there a way to find out if it is Vintage, True Vintage, Artist, Pro, Custom, etc.? Thank you!

It's just a Hummingbird. It's the original spec from the original Hummingbird. All the other titles are Gibson's silly marketing ploys to make sure you buy more guitars. Most of the goofy titles have come into play in the last 10 years. There is only one real Hummingbird and you have it. Just so you know, in all their vain attempts to make a real Hummingbird Gibson has failed. You sir have the right color. Gibson just can't seem to realize that the Hummingbird is a Vintage Cherry Sunburst color. It's supposed to be a red sunburst. I have seen True Vintage Hummingbirds and the color is not even close to correct. All the goofy colors come from a marketing guy who has no idea of Gibson's history. The Honey Sunburst, or variation, comes from an album cover from the Rolling Stones. The guitar in question on the album cover has been faded by the sunlight and the marketing guy likes that color better than the real,original color. Pity. Your guitar is the real deal and one of 190 shipped in 1990.

It's just a Hummingbird. It's the original spec from the original Hummingbird. All the other titles are Gibson's silly marketing ploys to make sure you buy more guitars. Most of the goofy titles have come into play in the last 10 years. There is only one real Hummingbird and you have it. Just so you know, in all their vain attempts to make a real Hummingbird Gibson has failed. You sir have the right color. Gibson just can't seem to realize that the Hummingbird is a Vintage Cherry Sunburst color. It's supposed to be a red sunburst. I have seen True Vintage Hummingbirds and the color is not even close to correct. All the goofy colors come from a marketing guy who has no idea of Gibson's history. The Honey Sunburst, or variation, comes from an album cover from the Rolling Stones. The guitar in question on the album cover has been faded by the sunlight and the marketing guy likes that color better than the real,original color. Pity. Your guitar is the real deal and one of 190 shipped in 1990.

Are you talking about the inner realities as well - bracing and so. . .

I fully respect your respect for the true first60ties colours, but maybe the philosophy could be that they try to emulate the old guitars after they become vintage and faded and therefor call them, , , eeeeehh Vintage. Anyway, the idea of the faded hue hits me right in the stomach – Have to say I'm mad about the True Vintage gloss honeyburst, , , I mean really hot. In fact so crazy I could eat it as a cake, , , excuse me - I will calm down. . . .

What Stones cover, by the way, do you have in mind ?

Archived