Gibson Brands Forums

Embossed Gibson PU Covers

Does anyone know for a fact what years the Gibson embossed pup covers were put on their guitars? I'm hoping for some factual info, as the only info I find is from questionable sources on the web.

The most plausible story I've "accumulated" so far (which could certainly be wrong) is that the large HB chrome, nickle and gold embossed covers were introduced in 1971, (not sure about small HB LP Deluxe covers) but due to lack luster customer response, complaints from different Gibson repair centers over interchangeability issues, and since they were more difficult for Gibson to inventory, they were discontinued in 1972.

The remaining inventory of chrome/nickle covers ran out sometime in late 1972, but the gold ones didn't run out until 1973.

My newly acquired 1973 Les Paul Custom Black Beauty FW has gold embossed covers, so I thought I would start a thread to find some factual info for myself and others who want to know more. Any facts would be helpful. Thanks! Dean

The best info can add to this discussion is direct quotes from A.R. Duchossoir's book "Guitar Identification", Mediapresse, c. 1983.

Page 25, "Hardware"

"...in late 1970, it was decided to emboss the Gibson logo on the pickup covers. By the end of May, 1972, this particular feature was officially discontinued, but owing to items then held in stock, it is most likely to be found on guitars and basses released throughout 1972 and up to early 1973....

There you go!

Your LPC must be from EARLY 1973.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know for a fact what years the Gibson embossed pup covers were put on their guitars? I'm hoping for some factual info, as the only info I find is from questionable sources on the web.

The most plausible story I've "accumulated" so far (which could certainly be wrong) is that the large HB chrome, nickle and gold embossed covers were introduced in 1971, (not sure about small HB LP Deluxe covers) but due to lack luster customer response, complaints from different Gibson repair centers over interchangeability issues, and since they were more difficult for Gibson to inventory, they were discontinued in 1972.

The remaining inventory of chrome/nickle covers ran out sometime in late 1972, but the gold ones didn't run out until 1973.

My newly acquired 1973 Les Paul Custom Black Beauty FW has gold embossed covers, so I thought I would start a thread to find some factual info for myself and others who want to know more. Any facts would be helpful. Thanks! Dean

The Gruhns Guide to Vintage guitars says the following:

Gibson embossed on pickup covers:

Les Paul Professional, Personal, Recording and Signature models, L-5S (as introduced): 1969-75

Melody maker pickups: late 1970-1972

Humbucking and P-90 pickups: 1971-72

Kind regards,

Stijn

Archived