Gibson Brands Forums

55 Les Paul w/ Factory Bigsby

Wire Dawg

I have a 55 Les Paul that a friends father bought new in 55. His son says he ordered the Bibsby and was with his dad the day he picked it up at the store. I has a different bridge that other Pauls of that age that I have seen is is in a slight "S" shaped bridge. Can anyone shine some light on this bridge. Also we are in the process of getting it priced for insurance. Also on that fateful day that he picked up that 55 LP he bought a Gibson Amp that has Les Paul Model bottom center on it. Thank God no one has played this guitar other than the original owner. Same with this AMP

Can anyone tell me any info on the bridge and Amp.Thank You

An insurance appraisal would best be done by somebody like Gruhns Guitars. Easy to find on the net, it'll cost you some money, but well worth it if you actually need insurance. They don't like some joker on the intarwebz like me telling you what something is or is worth.

Good luck with it.

rct

RCT, Thank You. I am asking about the correct name of the "S" Shaped bridge. I have only seen this on this guitar and I wonder if it was because of the factory installed Bigsby and any info on the Gibson GA 40 "Les Paul" Amp 12" speaker I know it has Voicing 2 channels reverb and tremelo.

I know George at Gruhns will give me a Quote for $50.00 on the Guitar.

An insurance appraisal would best be done by somebody like Gruhns Guitars. Easy to find on the net, it'll cost you some money, but well worth it if you actually need insurance. They don't like some joker on the intarwebz like me telling you what something is or is worth.

Good luck with it.

rct

Don't know what you mean by S shaped bridge. At that time, there was a Tuna Matic, or ABR-1, or whatever they were calling it, probably just The New Two Piece Bridge/Tailpiece. There was also a way to put the BeegsBee on with just a stop bar. That stop bar has an opening at each end, is that what you mean? Could be construed as S shaped, and I don't know your experience with guitars, so I might be aiming a little low.

Other than that, I don't recall ever seeing or reading of anything even vaguely S shaped for a Bridge, and I've certainly played a bunch of BeegsBee'd Les Pauls with both ABR/Tunamatic and single stop bars as per pre-54? 55 maybe?

Don't know about the amp, but there are absolute nutcases out there about Gibson amps, shouldn't be too hard to find what you need to know about it. alt.guitar.amps might be a place to start if you can stomach the noise.

rct

Archived