Gibson Brands Forums

BASS GUITAR?

S t e v e

Boy this place sounds like the bass forum tonight, gotta disagree though bass isn't harder to play than guitar, I play both and we even swap off in the band I play in based on the song. If you know music and theory the bass is really a pretty simple instrument. I started on piano then played an upright bass and sax in school before learning the mandolin then finally going to guitar as my primary instrument. Honestly they are all pretty much the same once you learn an instrument, the same skills and knowledge the same skills I have always been surprised how amazingly similar it all is.

I can tell you bass is physically easier for me, I have bad hands and have had three carpal tunnel surgeries and an elbow surgeys for nerve issues and when my hands hurt to much to play guitar, I play bass.

To play a bass very well is a real talent and fairly rare but the bass as an instrument is pretty simple and a few simple bass lines are easy to master and sound pretty good, just look at how many bands put a pretty girl behind a bass for exactly that reason. The hardest instrument I've ever had to master was drums and percussion not only does it take real musical skill but it also takes coordination and stamina.

I don't know if it's easier to get gigs as a bass player or not but I do know it's pretty damn hard to make any money playing one!

Archived