Gibson Brands Forums

marshall 6100 or 900? that's the question!

mautis

hi everybody,

i have a great gibson sg standard!

i use my baby with a marshall 6100 lm anniversary series... and it sounds great!

but in my new band we're plaing some kind of punk rock-melodic hard core

so i need much distortion like a mesa can give...

but mesa knows that i'm a poor man so i need to know if a 900 can give me the distortioon i need!

help me... i know is about me the decision, about how i feel plaing it.. but an advice is better for my decision!!

tnx

mauro

Honestly, I'd also say just buy some pedals. The 6100 should be a really good starting place to where you might be able to get the gain you need if you run a simple overdrive pedal into the front end.

ok, tnx! and which pedal did you say? like boss pedals or something better?

Like a Plimsoul, or other quality pedal in front, or via the effect loop ( if it has one )......

yes.. the amp has effect loop and midi in too.....so maybe i can solve the problem with a midi that give also the 3channel selection on it...

and now the new question... what midi can be enough?

yes.. the amp has effect loop and midi in too.....so maybe i can solve the problem with a midi that give also the 3channel selection on it...

and now the new question... what midi can be enough?

The 6100 is not like the old school Marshall I owned years ago.....MIDI; If you don't fully understand it, study it a bit....I just read the 6100 manual (quickly)...

Using a MIDI controller may be your answer.....Effect loops tend to be better with effects such as delay and chorus.....Putting a pedal like a Plimsoul in

front of your rig should solve your need for more drive......You may want to study a bit buffered vs non buffered effect units; There is much confusion

and disagreements on buffered vs non buffered units ( If you are only going to use one pedal in front, a buffered pedal MAY be preffered.)

Fuzz is different than Overdrive, and both are different again from Distortion ( In general )....You may want to study the difference...I suggest the

Plimsoul as it works well with any amp and rig....A pedal you might look at as well is one called Jekyl and Hyde, as it has BOTH overdrive and

distortion; It can be had for $150.00, the Plimsoul for perhaps $160.00, and both are worth every dollar.....Remember to shop online to compare

prices etc etc........IF you are poor, or rather, have a smaller budget, there are cheaper options, but, I'm not one to know cheaper pedal choices well...

Hope this helps a bit..........Damian..........

The 6100 is not like the old school Marshall I owned years ago.....MIDI; If you don't fully understand it, study it a bit....I just read the 6100 manual (quickly)...

Using a MIDI controller may be your answer.....Effect loops tend to be better with effects such as delay and chorus.....Putting a pedal like a Plimsoul in

front of your rig should solve your need for more drive......You may want to study a bit buffered vs non buffered effect units; There is much confusion

and disagreements on buffered vs non buffered units ( If you are only going to use one pedal in front, a buffered pedal MAY be preffered.)

Fuzz is different than Overdrive, and both are different again from Distortion ( In general )....You may want to study the difference...I suggest the

Plimsoul as it works well with any amp and rig....A pedal you might look at as well is one called Jekyl and Hyde, as it has BOTH overdrive and

distortion; It can be had for $150.00, the Plimsoul for perhaps $160.00, and both are worth every dollar.....Remember to shop online to compare

prices etc etc........IF you are poor, or rather, have a smaller budget, there are cheaper options, but, I'm not one to know cheaper pedal choices well...

Hope this helps a bit..........Damian..........

tnx a lot damien... can't wait to try plimsoul..if i found it in shops!!

Archived