Gibson Les Paul Traditional

Gibson ES 335

Gibson ES 339

Gibson Les Paul Standard

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro

Gibson SG Standard

Gibson SG Special

Gibson SG Supreme

Can someone put up pics and also give me a review about the SG Supreme??

I bought a 2005 SG Supreme about 4 years ago. It is hands down my best playing/best sounding guitar. Unlike other SG's, it has a maple top over mahogany rather than a mahogany slab body. It also has 24 frets v. the normal 22, an ebony fretboard (rather than rosewood) and a lightning fast 60's slim taper neck. The headstock is different too, having the split diamond logo that usually adorns Customs. The fret inlays are split diamonds also rather than dots (Specials), trapezoids (Standards), or blocks (Customs). The pups are '57 Classics (which either you love or hate). It is void of a pickguard - a plus for me as I personally find them tacky.

Overall all, it's a very unique guitar. Probably too unique. The Supreme sounds less like an SG and more like an LP due to the maple top. SG's are bit neck heavey too. The longer 24 fret neck of the Supreme seems to exaggerate this. With sales waning on this model, Gibson slowly phased it out and discontinued these. I'm at work so I can't post a pic of mine (Midnight Blue), but if you search images on Bing, you can see a ton of pics. They're great looking axes. Check out the Emerald Green version - its gorgeous esp. w/ the gold plated hardware: very classy.

Well my trip turned out this way...

They didn't have an SG Supreme (no surprises here)

The 339 beat the SG (all of them)

The Trad beat the SG(all of them)

The 339 beat the Trad

The winner is the 339...well, the Trad Plus was pretty close (about 0.00000000001) to the 339

That's not a surprise the ES 339 is made by the Gibson Custom Shop, while the others are Gibson USA children. And Gibson USA is lacking quality seriously those days. As much as I love Gibson, I think I'm off to PRS for now.

Archived