Gibson Brands Forums

mid 60's cortez vs. LG1

sboiir

Any help out there. These Epiphone FT45N Cortez models sure appear to be the copy of Gibson's LG1. But, a friend has one with x-bracing & a plastic bridge. From what I can find, most LG1's had ladder bracing, plastic bridge was common but found where x-bracing was also used for a few years. Are they the LG1 or ?? Anyone know ?

Thanks Johnl, I been checking the FT-30 Caballero, but it appears those were mahogany tops,?? the cortez models seem to all be spruce top.

I am wondering if the cortex is a LG2 ? I see on gibson sites were they used ladder and x-brace on LG1's different years. some plastic bridge, some wood. serial 806287 - model FT45N - label says Cortez. ?????

The LG-1 only came with X bracing for a few years in the 1940s. Likewise plastic bridges were only used for a few years in the mid-1960s.

I would think the Cortez, as someone said, is similar to the X braced, spruce top Gibson LG-2 while the Cabellero was the Epi "version" of the mahogany top, ladder braced Gibson LG-0.

After further research & close inspection the Cabellero appears to be the LG0 copy mahogany top. An you're right the LG1's of the 60's seem to be ladder braced. LG2 x-braced. Now it really appears the cortez is the Gibson B25....x-braced, spruce top. Could still be way wrong, but that's what I'm understanding. Thanks for your help !

• 3 weeks later...

After further research & close inspection the Cabellero appears to be the LG0 copy mahogany top. An you're right the LG1's of the 60's seem to be ladder braced. LG2 x-braced. Now it really appears the cortez is the Gibson B25....x-braced, spruce top. Could still be way wrong, but that's what I'm understanding. Thanks for your help !

Yes, the mid '60s Cortez was a clone of the B25 except for the pickguard and headstock. They both came with the god-awful plastic bride, but were otherwise first rate guitars. Top was solid spruce, back was solid mahogany, sides were laminated mahogany, and they were X-braced as noted. I happened to have owned both of them.

Yes, the mid '60s Cortez was a clone of the B25 except for the pickguard and headstock. They both came with the god-awful plastic bride, but were otherwise first rate guitars. Top was solid spruce, back was solid mahogany, sides were laminated mahogany, and they were X-braced as noted. I happened to have owned both of them.

How does a guitar sound difference with ladder or x bracing.

Archived