Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic strings for Hummingbird

Not kidding........[flapper] ...Welcome to the forum...I take it you have an Epiphone one....Martin SP 80/20 Custom Lights are inexpensive

and sound good......Brands and guages vary......It truly is a matter of personal taste..........IMHO, when I'm not recording, I find

that Musician's Gear strings do just fine, and they are $1.99 a set at M.F. [thumbup] ..........There is an acoustic sub forum on here...

Smart folks; you can find the sub forum via the opening page......Hummingbirds are nice guitars, congrats.............

Shop online as well, in today's world, most everyone will price match......When you find a brand you like, buy in bulk.......

( forgive my first post, just pulling yer leg...).................

I have heard very good things about Elixer coated strings.......They cost more, but they last a long time, and I understand that they keep their tone well as well........

I've mostly used Elixirs since I first came across them, both on the electrics and AE guitars.

But I think a lot also has to do with how one plays.

Even the Elixir extra lite acoustic strings are heavier than I like on an acoustic for how I fingerpick and what I play. So I've gone to 9-42 Zebras for a test run. I'm about half way through that test. They sound okay through an amp and are nice to play but they're a bit hollow acoustic and probably too light to sound good strummin'.

That's why I say it has a lot to do with how you play.

I'm considering, though, getting a heavier set of Elixir acoustic polywebs (they have two kinds of coatings, I prefer the heavier version) so I can dump the heavy bass E string and add a 9 top.

As Damian said, Elixirs are a bit more expensive but last a lot longer. I do think that heavy strummers may find the Goretex coating peeling. I've not encountered that at all, but I don't beat up the strings, either.

m

The reason I asked I have Martin's that are Rosewood and spruce toped and I always use med stings Martin Marquse SP 13-56 and used the same on my Taylor pres series that were spruce and rosewood but I just bought my Gibson montana hummingbird and I took off the light 12-53 strings that came on it because I like more thump from bass side, I thought someone might have tried some strings and would advise me about the way they sounded on a Mahogany bodied with spruce top Gibson Hummingbird I Play a lot and have been playing for a little over 46 years thought if someone had got good results with a certin type string I could save time and money trying there recomendation first. Thanks for to all who have posted so for

Archived