Gibson Brands Forums

truss rod won't turn/locked

guitar_randy

Not on any of my Gibsons,but I have a cheapo bass guitar(Epiphone EB-O short scale)that has fret buzz.I recently was able to correct any fret buzzing and set up issues I had on my Gibson SG's after alot of reading and taking my time and messing with it.I got them set up pretty good myself actually,and I am kinda proud of myself for learning it and figureing it out.But this Epi bass.it has good fret buzz.Not alot of clearance from strings to fretboard when I fret the 1st and lat frets.So I took off truss rod cover, ,found the wrench that fits the truss rod correctly,and was planning on loosening it very little bit to straighten neck little bit.But the truss rod is extremely tight,doesn't want to easily turn either way.I never adjusted it before so its nothing like that.I am assuming that bass truss rod should turn about as easily as a guitar truss rod does?I did not want to damage anything ,or force it any,so I just put the cover back on and left it be.My question is:

What would cause the truss rod to freeze up or be so tight and not easily turn either way and what would be next logical thing to do here? Or should I just try putting heavier guage strings on it?

I have an SG faded bass and the truss rod is harder to turn than on a regular guitar' date=' but not impossible. There could be corrosion on it so force it just a little. If it still doesn't move then it's probably shop time.[/quote']

How hard can you force it?How much can it take before snap

I see by your post that you live in Wisconsin, so I'm assuming that you don't have central air conditioning. My guess is that because of the humidity, the wood has swelled and tightened around the truss rod. I think if you wait a few weeks until it gets colder and dryer, the wood my shrink enough that you can adjust the rod. Here in Florida, the guitar spends almost the whole year in AC, and for the couple of months that we don't use that much AC (Dec. & Jan.) the air is dry enough that it isn't a problem. Also, when the winter hits you, the neck will lose moisture so that it will shrink, and the problem may take care of itself!

Be careful. It's very easy to snap the neck rod on a Gibson, particularly an SG. I had a beautiful SG special about 30 years ago. Tried to adjust the truss rod and SNAP! instant firewood! also had the brass nut shear off on me on an ES345 stereo; both guitars were obviously the victims of previous mis-adjustments by heavy handed shoemakers--just take it SLOW, and when you start to feel resistance, STOP! I have done several hundred adjustments on truss rods, and the only time I had one that was frozen was on a jap Jazzmaster re-issue!

I see by your post that you live in Wisconsin' date=' so I'm assuming that you don't have central air conditioning. My guess is that because of the humidity, the wood has swelled and tightened around the truss rod. I think if you wait a few weeks until it gets colder and dryer, the wood my shrink enough that you can adjust the rod. Here in Florida, the guitar spends almost the whole year in AC, and for the couple of months that we don't use that much AC (Dec. & Jan.) the air is dry enough that it isn't a problem. Also, when the winter hits you, the neck will lose moisture so that it will shrink, and the problem may take care of itself![/quote']

I do have central air ,BUT,that guitar I keep in my basement .It is not a wet or damp basement,but it is more humid I'm sure than upstairs.I'll put it upstairs a few days and see if it helps.

Be careful. It's very easy to snap the neck rod on a Gibson' date=' particularly an SG. I had a beautiful SG special about 30 years ago. Tried to adjust the truss rod and SNAP! instant firewood! also had the brass nut shear off on me on an ES345 stereo; both guitars were obviously the victims of previous mis-adjustments by heavy handed shoemakers--just take it SLOW, and when you start to feel resistance, STOP! I have done several hundred adjustments on truss rods, and the only time I had one that was frozen was on a jap Jazzmaster re-issue! [/quote']

There is resistance right away.Doesn't want to turn easily at all.

and what would be next logical thing to do here? Or should I just try putting heavier guage strings on it?

Rather than heavier strings, why not just raise the bridge a little bit? Although that may not help it if the neck is too straight. What guage strings are you running? I've been using 45/65/85/105 on my SG.

Rather than heavier strings' date=' why not just raise the bridge a little bit? Although that may not help it if the neck is too straight. What guage strings are you running? I've been using 45/65/85/105 on my SG.[/quote']

I tried that before.I had to raise em so high it was rediculous.I don't know what string guauge is on there.I got the guitar new ,so whatever strings it comes with stock,is still whats on there. I emailed customer service to ask that since the website doesn't list the guage used.I don't use the bass all that much,just when I make some song recordings.I prefer to make all my own music rather than to download backing tracks or stuff like that.It does the job for that,but the fret buzz is getting to me.I know the neck needs to have truss rod loosened and once thats ok,,I'll be able to dset rest up to my needs.

I tried putting small amount of penetrating oil in it now.I'll give that a while to soak in and then see if it helps.

Rather than heavier strings' date=' why not just raise the bridge a little bit? Although that may not help it if the neck is too straight. What guage strings are you running? I've been using 45/65/85/105 on my SG.[/quote']

The string gauge used at the factory was 45-105(Epiphone Bass strings). Thanks again!!

Archived