Gibson Brands Forums

Explorer info needed

ScottFN308

I have a 1983 Explorer that I have owned for over 20 years. I was under the impression

for many years that it was an Explorer 83. However, from what I can gain from various

internet information sources, it is not this model. So, from there I am stumped.

Here is a photograph on the guitar in question.

med_gallery_2_10_194238.jpg

The EMG 81 is, of course not original I had it installed in 1989. I purchased the guitar in

1988,(or thereabouts), the non-original Kahler was already installed at that time by the original

owner, (I am the second owner).

SN# is 82923537

I have never been able to find any info or have I ever seen another 1983 that looks like this one.

Just wondering if this is indeed what they call an Explorer 83. Not that it matters, it is a great

playing and sounding guitar no matter what exact model it is.

Not the best first post, but I am indeed looking forward to being a part of the great site you have

here, and hope to learn alot.

Thanks,

Scott

Hi,

The guitar appears to me to be indeed a 1983 Explorer; see also the specs from the Gruhns Guide to Vintage Guitars attached.

The serial number refers to a guitar that was made on day 292 of 1983, which would be the 19th of October, stamped as the 37th instrument that day at the Nashville factory.

Kind regards,

Stijn

Explorer I 83.doc

Hi,

The guitar appears to me to be indeed a 1983 Explorer; see also the specs from the Gruhns Guide to Vintage Guitars attached.

The serial number refers to a guitar that was made on day 292 of 1983, which would be the 19th of October, stamped as the 37th instrument that day at the Nashville factory.

Kind regards,

Stijn

Thanks for the help and the info. It is greatly appreciated.

In the attached info from the Gruhn's guide it states decal logo. My particular

guitar has an inlay logo. It is unusual for a particular guitar to vary a bit from

specs due to a custom order, or whatever was available at the time of construction ?

Thanks again,

Scott

I think the logo thing varied from guitar to guitar. That looks exactly like my 76 reissue expect you have a trem or vibrato on yours. I think your are possibly thinking of the 1984 Explorer which had a little bit of a different lay out.

Gibson%20Explorer%20%C2%B484%20Reissue%20Alpine%20White.jpg

Is this the guy you're thinking of?

My particular

guitar has an inlay logo. It is unusual for a particular guitar to vary a bit from

specs due to a custom order, or whatever was available at the time of construction ?

Thanks again,

Scott

Hallo Scott!

Really nice guitar [thumbup]

In my opinion it's not impossible to find something different from the standard, especially on the '80s Explorers.

Referring to the specs my '85 should has an alder body, maple neck and ebony fretboard. Mine clearly shows a mahogany body.

I'v also seen a lot of those '80s Explorers with every combination:

-Alder body, maple neck, rosewood or ebony fingerboard

-Mahogany body, mahogany neck, rosewood or ebony fingerboard

-Mahogany body, maple neck, rosewood or ebony fingerboard

Also the Explorer's headstock shape varies in the '80s

So....i believe it could be possible to find an inlay logo on an 1983 Explorer

Cheers

Francesco

Archived