Gibson Brands Forums

A 355 question

Seven10Ashbury

I just received a 1969 es 355 off of ebay. It's in OK condition for a forty two year old guitar. The bridge pickup is not working, though. Will switching out the harness (assuming it is not the pickup) make it less valuable? I have a letter of authentication from Gruhn Guitars, but I'm still wondering if the electronics were even checked before they put it up for sale (or they left that part out.) The pots are huge too, is that normal? (The neck pickup is awesome sounding through my Marshall JCM.)

Seven

I just received a 1969 es 355 off of ebay.

Your '69 355 is most likely an "SV" model (stereo/varitone). A stereo 355 will not operate properly with a standard guitar cable, it requires a stereo cable with a TRS plug on the guitar end, split out to two regular 1/4" TS plugs on the amp end. It will also not work properly if you just jump the two stereo "hot" leads together at the amp end. I suspect using the wrong cable is your bridge pickup output problem.

As for the giant pots, I would guess you're looking through the lower f-hole and seeing the "Varitone" switch body.

Rewiring this guitar will greatly affect it's value, although rewiring it from stereo to mono will make it operate like a "standard" guitar. In either case, rewiring a "Varitone" equipped guitar is a MAJOR ordeal, and not for the amateur (or most big box store guitar "techs").

I just received a 1969 es 355 off of ebay. It's in OK condition for a forty two year old guitar. The bridge pickup is not working, though.

Hi Seven: Try putting your jackcord halfway in. I know it sounds like a bad joke. The stereo input can be made to work with a mono jackcord and have both pickups work by only going halfway in. Fiddle with putting the chord in and you will see what I mean. In the meantime, go to an electronics store and have them make you a stereo cord. The effect stereo effect is really cool by the way. And the huge pot you are seeing is the Varitone. It has a lot of capaciters in it.

All the best,

Johnny Jet

Thanx guys. I've been away from the guitar for a while and I'm jumping back in with both feet, so to speak. I figured the 355 was an "SV", but the sticker said es355TDW. It kind of threw me. Also, the Varitone switch is OK, it's just a little loose. My guitar guy sends it out to the Gibson people here in I think Van Vuys or something and so far they've been really cool.

Nice guitar!

What they said. Get any stereo patch cable and test the pickups & varitone switch for proper operation. I'll bet everything is working fine. The pots, btw, just have big shielding cans over them. Inside the can you'll find normal 500k pots.

FWIW, removing & reinstalling the harness for a 345 or 355 is akin to waterboarding in Gitmo and should be avoided like the plague.

Archived