Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone SG pickguard will not come off

Louser

Ok so here's the deal. I do guitar maintenance/pickup replacement as a side job so I'm not new to this but I recently bought an Epiphone SG guitar. It was gonna be one of thos that you soup up with awesome electronics ya know? Well I got to taking everything off and noticed that the holes where the bridge screws in are IN the pickguard. I'm at a loss as to how to get this off and I've never had to remove anything like that before so I'm skeptical. Any info. Would be extremelly helpful. Thanks!

I see you have a 1966 G400

With this model the bridge has to be taken off as a whole with the scratchplate

You need to do 2 things first, loosen the strings ALOT as the cover needs alot of space and completely unscrew all 4 pickup screws.

Once thats all done you have to lift it CAREFULLY from the bridge end keeping it flat. it should all come up in 1 piece including the feet that sit inside the body.

The rest you should already know...

This model is definitely not a '66 since I bought it brand new in 04 or so. I will try what you suggested though because it sounds like it might work. Thank you!

The model is called the 1966 its not actually from 1966...

Its the same style as a Gibson SG Standard, the G400 would be compared to the Gibson SG 1961 as it has a side scratch plate

I used to own a White and for a brief time a Silverburst of the 1966 model.

sdc10783r.jpgsdc10803p.jpg

The model is called the 1966 its not actually from 1966...

Its the same style as a Gibson SG Standard, the G400 would be compared to the Gibson SG 1961 as it has a side scratch plate

I used to own a White and for a brief time a Silverburst of the 1966 model.

According to Epiphone's own website, it's based on the 1962 model.

And in case you didn't know it, the actual 1966 Gibson model did not have a full PG on it. It had a small one on it.

There are some other differences too, so if anything it is "loosely" based on it. Just wanted make sure everyone got the correct info. :)

According to Epiphone's own website, it's based on the 1962 model.

And in case you didn't know it, the actual 1966 Gibson model did not have a full PG on it. It had a small one on it.

There are some other differences too, so if anything it is "loosely" based on it. Just wanted make sure everyone got the correct info. :)

Good info [thumbup]

Archived