Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Les Paul Custom - years to avoid?

jamdogg

Just wondering if there are any year Epi LPs that one should avoid, or are they all about the same quality? MIC stuff does not bother me at all, but I am curious what the consensus is on these guitars throughout the years.

Hi

I'm sure many of the "experts" wouldn't be able to tell a difference - if they couldn't read where and when it was made.........

there are many 'good' ones from each period / country / factory

and some less good ones....

play it, and .......

if it feels good to your hands,

if it sounds good to your ears,

if it looks good to your eyes,

and if it fits your wallet..........buy it!

[cool]

Sorry, meant to give your post a plus, accidentally hit the minus...

Now correct it - or I have to 'minus' you [flapper]

I won't let me...I guess once you've voted you can't change your mind...I'll give me a minus. lol

EDIT: apparently my quota for the day on negative votes is 1,

The only sore spot for me on the Epiphone LP Customs is the neckjoin. Messy binding jobs and it varies from guitar to guitar. Some of the Alpine White Customs look like the paint is a sticker covering the entire guitar. It just looks so poorly done in most cases. The latest find was a Qingdao 2011 Alpine White LP Custom with the horrible neckjoin overrun, bad neckbow at that same location on the guitar and it may have looked worse to me just because of the sloppy job.

The only sore spot for me on the Epiphone LP Customs is the neckjoin. Messy binding jobs and it varies from guitar to guitar. Some of the Alpine White Customs look like the paint is a sticker covering the entire guitar. It just looks so poorly done in most cases. The latest find was a Qingdao 2011 Alpine White LP Custom with the horrible neckjoin overrun, bad neckbow at that same location on the guitar and it may have looked worse to me just because of the sloppy job.

You wouldn't happen to have a pic of this? I've never seen ANY guitar finish that looked like a sticker, or a sloppy neck joint on an Epi, I don't think I've seen messy binding either...

Archived