Gibson Brands Forums

new humbucker sounds thin- antiquity

turtle

hey guys, I have a stupid question about a humbucker set I installed. Its an SD antiquity set. The bridge seems really thin ??? Its measuring at 8.5k. The neck is mesuring 7.6 and WAY fuller/louder. Could it be that the pickup hs a bad coil? Or would that read half of 8.5? I checked with a multimeter and is reading 8.5k like said on the box....please help. Did I get a bad pickup or are there other things I can check in the circuit. Its an 06 standard with 500k cts pots...was really bummed when I plugged in and heard. Also its reading 8.5 on the center pole on the pot so I'm assuming its delivering 8.5 to the selector switch. I was gonna wire it to the neck volume to see if it was the pot but got tired after checking connections ect...thanks, any info would be greatly appreciated:).-turtle

Ok, far from the strings(pickup ring height) and is a braided single conductor wire. I tried lowering, raising reconnecting ect. It has a nickle cover otherwise I'd tap the coil with a screwdriver to make sure.

If its 4 conductor prolly got onea the wires backasswards.

rct

Not an electronics expert, but based on my limited experience installing pickups this sounds like a good path to pursue.

Guest FarnsBarns

Well, you've had a meter on it and it reads correctly so it's not gone open circuit or short circuit and the coils must be ok, you've changed the height to high, low and in between. This only leaves the wiring. It must be connected wrong or have a high resistance connection somewhere, imho.

Any places I can check it? The output on the neck is fine. Could it be the 3 way? I didn't touch that though when changing the pickup. Or could I have heated the pot up too much with soldering??

Guest FarnsBarns

Any places I can check it? The output on the neck is fine. Could it be the 3 way? I didn't touch that though when changing the pickup. Or could I have heated the pot up too much with soldering??

how's it wired? What's it in?

Guest FarnsBarns

I'm going to assume modern LP wiring...

So you've got the PU wire coming in to the volume pot and connected to the left pot contact?

Is the braiding soldered to the back of the pot? Is the connection here good (use the continuity setting on the meter put one probe on the braiding an inch or so before the pot and the other in the pot back.

You could have desoldered the braiding of the wire from the middle contact on the pot to the switch so check that also.

If those both check out ok put your meter on the resistance setting and put it across the left and middle contact of the pot. Turn the knob and check that it is not cooked.

I'm going to assume modern LP wiring...

So you've got the PU wire coming in to the volume pot and connected to the left pot contact?

Is the braiding soldered to the back of the pot? Is the connection here good (use the continuity setting on the meter put one probe on the braiding an inch or so before the pot and the other in the pot back.

You could have desoldered the braiding of the wire from the middle contact on the pot to the switch so check that also.

If those both check out ok put your meter on the resistance setting and put it across the left and middle contact of the pot. Turn the knob and check that it is not cooked.

so to the left meaning ground terminal and the middle? Then turn the knob and what should happen ....

Archived