Gibson Brands Forums

Suggested action settings

latebloomer

There may be some suggested string height settings on the Gibson Web site but its very much individual taste. Its easy to change the height of the action so have a fiddle around and see what feels the most comfortable for you. Remember to reduce the string tension before u make any adjustments and check there is no choking out on the higher frets when string bending with your lower action ie if u bend a string around the 15 th fret and the sound stops this is choking out and the action needs heightening slightly

Many blues of slide players prefer a higher action while shredders may want an action as low as possible - again down to individual case or needs, but it is common place for new Gibsons to have quite high actions.

There may be some suggested string height settings on the Gibson Web site but its very much individual taste. Its easy to change the height of the action so have a fiddle around and see what feels the most comfortable for you. Remember to reduce the string tension before u make any adjustments and check there is no choking out on the higher frets when string bending with your lower action ie if u bend a string around the 15 th fret and the sound stops this is choking out and the action needs heightening slightly

Many blues of slide players prefer a higher action while shredders may want an action as low as possible - again down to individual case or needs, but it is common place for new Gibsons to have quite high actions.

I verified that it was setup according to Gibson standards, which is not too different than my Teles. Might I simply need to get accustomed to the flatter radius? I have a 7.25 and 2 9.5 Teles; the SG is 12 correct? I'm also a beginner, so inexperience might play a part.

Archived