Gibson Brands Forums

New Pick-ups for my shrerraton 2

Hey guys I just bought a sherraton at the end of April and I think the pick-ups are a bit weak for my style of music. What pickups do you guys think I should put in? How much will it cost?

Thanks TGB

A neverending stooooryyyyy... La-la-laaa, la-la-laaa, la-la-laaaa :rolleyes:

We have had many questions on the pickup swap here. We will be glad to help you out, just tell us what kind of music do you play, what amp do you play through, and what do you want to sound like?

A neverending stooooryyyyy... La-la-laaa, la-la-laaa, la-la-laaaa :rolleyes:

We have had many questions on the pickup swap here. We will be glad to help you out, just tell us what kind of music do you play, what amp do you play through, and what do you want to sound like?

I play rock,blues,metal,jazz and country. I use a vox ac15 and a line 6 spider 3. And I want a pup with bit that can be loud an obnoxious but also quiet and nice

Thanks TGB

Depends on what style of music you are playing ... for anything up to hard rock I would contend that a 57+ bridge and 57 neck would be optimal. A big reason I personally prefer the lower output PU's like the 57's is that they offer more note clarity when cranked compared to higher output PU's. This is the sound we know from countless legendary rock albums from Led Zep to Deep Purple and on.

If you are playing anything heavier than hard rock then you may want to look at something higher output ...

Tiki.

OK, I'm not really good at pickups, as I never had a chance to try lots of them out, but here are my 2 cents.

I know nothing about the outputs of different models, but what I'm thinking is that you might want to consider not to put a matched pair into the guitar - I'd say a softer lower output in the neck position and a hotter pickup in the bridge. This way you'll get jazzy-bluesy sound from the first one and edgier trebly sound from the second, which you can mostly use for country and heavy stuff on higher overdrive levels. Besides that you'll also be able to blend both pickups in the middle position, and as they will be quite different, you'll get the versatility for different styles.

That's why I said a 57+ bridge and straight 57 neck ... the 57+ is higher output.

Tiki.

Check out Seymour Duncan SH2 JB (bridge) and SH4 jazz (neck). This will run the gamut frrom very high output to a mellow, clear tone. It's by far SD's most popular pair. I have them in my Epi Genesis and they are a killer combination (I play classic rock to jazz and blues, this pair covers them all extremely well).

Cost: I've seen the pair on Ebay go for around $125 new. They are frequently sold as a package deal. Otherwise about $75 per piece. Installation is all over the place. I know luthiers here that charge anywhere from $30 to $75 depending on how straight foreward a job it is (and more for an unusual cavity fitting, active pups, etc).

Seymour's favorite humbucker set. Great for everything from blues/rock to metal. The Seymour Duncan Hot Rodded Humbucker Set features an SH-2 Jazz model at the neck and an SH-4 model at the bridge. It's also Seymour's favorite set of humbucker pickups because you can use them for playing all styles from blues to rock to metal. Strong definition with bold, dense tone. These are the 4-wire pickups.

Taken from the SD pages...the Jeff Beck...I mean Jazz/Blues Tele-Gib story...

After sending his favorite Les Paul® to a shady repairman who switched out the P.A.F.'s for newer, squealing, pickups, Jeff came to Seymour for help and advice. Seymour repaired Jeff's Les Paul, and then set about creating a special guitar for Jeff with a pair of pickups that would capture Jeff's amazing ability to coax a wide range of tones out of his axe.

The result was a guitar that Seymour gave to Jeff as a gift. The body and neck were clearly Telecaster®. But the pickups were two re-wound humbuckers made from broken P.A.F.s Seymour rescued from Lonnie Mack's Flying V®. Seymour called the guitar a "Tele-Gib," and nicknamed the bridge pickup "JB" and the neck pickup "JM," after the hot rod racer, "John Milner," in the classic film, American Graffiti. (Eventually, "JM" would change to "Jazz Model," which is what it's called today.) Jeff used the Tele-Gib on his amazing 1975 release, Blow By Blow, where it gained notoriety for the haunting volume swells heard on "Cause We Ended As Lovers," which Jeff dedicated to Roy Buchanon. Interestingly, it was Seymour who introduced Jeff to Roy a few months prior.

The JB bridge pickup became very popular, very quick. Soon, many of England's top guitarists, including more than a few legendary names, sought out Seymour's "JB Mod" for their guitars. They found that the JB gave increased output (16.4K Ohms) without sounding harsh or dark, like other high-output pickups of the mid-'70s. When Seymour returned to the USA the next year, his reputation as a pickup designer and the JB's reputation as a great pickup preceded him. And the rest was history.

Archived