Gibson Brands Forums

Effects 101: Sound on Sound

ne14t?

Ok so I have never really been big on the effects thing, Distortion and OD is what I used the most. I was talking on of my friend who just started playing, he always asks me questions about theory, effects, and anything else he can convince me to answer for him. I dont mind as its good for people to learn and if I didnt ask someone questions I would have never found out myself. We got into a bit of a arguement the other day when I mentioned about getting a MXR carbon copy (or two) and he said it was a waste of money because delays are probably the most useless effect in the world (forgive his arrogance he is a noob!) The biggest reason I want a couple delay pedals is to copy the sound on sound that David Gilmour has done on some of his songs. I have seen it done with a BOSS DD7 and a Line6 POD but I am fairly sure the same thing could be done with any two delay pedals but setting one up fairly wet and the other one pretty dry, I am not sure of the exact ms needed but maybe something like 380ms on the dry and then ~800ms on the wet, can anyone shed some light on this? I really want to nail this one so I can show him a riff with sound on sound make him eat his words on delay pedals, and I dont want to just show him a youtube clip, plus I will need to know more for the future when I start getting serious on it. Thanks a bunch!

Your friend is naive; Single tap, double tap, non tap, repeats of all sorts, long delay, short, combos thereof, tap tempo,

backwards delay, multi delays, on and on and on, slapback, echo delay, etc etc etc....Delay done right is wonderful...

Thats my short answer Net..........Delay is awesome when done well............

Your friend is naive; Single tap, double tap, non tap, repeats of all sorts, long delay, short, combos thereof, tap tempo,

backwards delay, multi delays, on and on and on, slapback, echo delay, etc etc etc....Delay done right is wonderful...

Thats my short answer Net..........Delay is awesome when done well............

Yeah he's a noob, just picked a guitar up for the first time about 2 weeks ago if that!

Man I dont fully understand the Slapback, that stuff is awesome the first time I heard that I wanted to get a jug and start blowing into it. I think we need an effects section were we could talk about this stuff, the more diverse I get with the music I play, I come across more and more effects I havent used and have no clue how to even use, I am sure there are tons of veteran players here that can chime in and help out too.

That sneaky guy has used it alot, Shine on is a good example of it too.

Only delay pedal I currently own is the one built into my Amp :(

The whole fiasco started when I said I wanted to buy a couple carbon copies to use for this, thought I may have to take a look into that BOSS DD7.

ne14, there's a lot of pedal heads here....hmmm....They love and know their pedals..Two Carbon Copies sounds like an interesting way to go...

T-Rex pedals are well loved; I've never tried them....BBE has a 'TwoTimer' 2 in one pedal....I use the delays in my GT-10 and GT-8s.......

Stereo, and stereo panning...Nice sounds...Slapback is fun...Using delay to double up guitar is useful as well....hmmm....

ne14, there's a lot of pedal heads here....hmmm....They love and know their pedals..Two Carbon Copies sounds like an interesting way to go...

T-Rex pedals are well loved; I've never tried them....BBE has a 'TwoTimer' 2 in one pedal....I use the delays in my GT-10 and GT-8s.......

Stereo, and stereo panning...Nice sounds...Slapback is fun...Using delay to double up guitar is useful as well....hmmm....

From what I have been told Gilmour uses a BOSS GT-10 for his sound on sound, I might have to start up a Pedal Head Thread in the Gear section. Make sure I get the right pedals the first time!

From what I have been told Gilmour uses a BOSS GT-10 for his sound on sound, I might have to start up a Pedal Head Thread in the Gear section. Make sure I get the right pedals the first time!

Gilmour uses a GT-10 ???? How dare he copy my sound !!!!!!!!!! [flapper] ..

Gilmour uses a GT-10 ???? How dare he copy my sound !!!!!!!!!! [flapper] ..

Hmmm I might have been wrong it may have only been a GT-8

I have made a thread over in the gear section where this can continue on unless we just wanna BS about stuff then I ask we keep it in the lounge :D

Pedal Head Thread

Archived