Gibson Brands Forums

Pedal Head Thread

ne14t?

Ok so I am getting into effects pedals and I want to make sure I go down the right route, I am not afraid to ask questions, make mistakes, and most importantly I want to learn; however I don't want the learning curve to cost me an arm and a leg from buying 10 different OD pedals, 7 different fuzz pedals, 6 delay pedals...ok you are getting my point on this one I bet. So I am turning to the musical community for some advice and where better then this forum. As I want this to be an informative thread that Gibson might decide to sticky in the future for everyones benefit, I am going to lay down some guidelines and rules to hopefully keep this thread chugging along in the right direction, which is Tonal bliss.

- I ask that people be courteous to other peoples opinions or suggestions, remember they are like bungholes we all have one and we cant be judged for it!

- Please dont trash talk brands or manufacturers or forum members I am aiming to get this thread stickied for its information and that wont help the cause.

- Try to stay on topic, I intended this to be informative and educational and put it in the Gear section for this very reason.

- Stompboxes, Effects Processors, Effects Modelers and everything applies, if it changes the guitar signal it is to be discussed here be it vintage, modern or DIY Clone!

For starters I am going to basically move my thread about Sound on Sound from the lounge to hear. I would like people to kind of keep it in this fashion, if you have a specific song or tone your looking for feel free to post a video or audio clip. YOU DO NOT need to contribute to ask a question, please do not be shy about it!

"Ok so I have never really been big on the effects thing, Distortion and OD is what I used the most. I was talking on of my friend who just started playing, he always asks me questions about theory, effects, and anything else he can convince me to answer for him. I dont mind as its good for people to learn and if I didnt ask someone questions I would have never found out myself. We got into a bit of a arguement the other day when I mentioned about getting a MXR carbon copy (or two) and he said it was a waste of money because delays are probably the most useless effect in the world (forgive his arrogance he is a noob!) The biggest reason I want a couple delay pedals is to copy the sound on sound that David Gilmour has done on some of his songs. I have seen it done with a BOSS DD7 and a Line6 POD but I am fairly sure the same thing could be done with any two delay pedals but setting one up fairly wet and the other one pretty dry, I am not sure of the exact ms needed but maybe something like 380ms on the dry and then ~800ms on the wet, can anyone shed some light on this? I really want to nail this one so I can show him a riff with sound on sound make him eat his words on delay pedals, and I dont want to just show him a youtube clip, plus I will need to know more for the future when I start getting serious on it. Thanks a bunch!"

That was my original post from in the Gibson Lounge, I didnt feel like condensing it as its kinda a funny story!

If any of the pedal heads out there can comment on doing sound on sound with effects pedal it would be greatly appriciated. I know how it can be done using a POD or a GT-8/GT-10 but I would like to stay away from the huge effects processors for my application as I moved on from my POD for effects in favor of actual pedals. And yes if you have a POD question I will answer it if I can!

Archived