Gibson Brands Forums

339 set up

locko

just bought a Gibson 339 which im over the moon with,Ive just noticed the string spacing. the first string at the 1st fret is roughly 2/32 the 6 string is 3/32 from the inside of the binding. At the 12th fret the first string is still 2/32 the 6 string is now 4/32. and of course this affects the strings over the p/up magnets which are a fraction off centre. Is this normal and does our guitar tech from gibson know the correct spacing measurements.

Regards to all Phil

I do not have the specs but it sounds like the bridge saddles may be off. If the edge distance from the nut to the bridge is progressively more towards the bridge, then the bridge is off. If the distance varies back and forth up the neck, it could be a problem with taking the measurements, the thickness of the binding in those spots, or the neck may not be straight. Have your dealer check it (which should have been done before it left the store but that is not something that is easy to spot with a quick glance). There will be some minor variation from one end of the neck to the other due to the binding being scraped for finishing and the thickness of lacquer, etc. The strings should line up over the pickup poles. I have had one with the same issue, although I did not measure it. I replaced the bridge saddles, cut new notches and it was perfect. It may be easier for a dealer to just replace the bridge. I would discuss it with the dealer. If it is not a new 339 or not bought from a Gibson dealer, then you may want to have a good tech look at it.

The necks don't always line up with the pickup cavities and the bridges when they make them. I think they try to get the strings lined up with the pickup poles, and then, as long as the neck is reasonably visually lined up, then they set the notch locations and they're good to go.

I think it's just how they're made. They're mostly cutting and fitting the parts by hand, especially on the guitars like ES's.

I suppose the give a way is the fret markers (dots) which should run the length of the neck between the 3rd and 4th string. In my case the 4th string is slightly straddling them .Although when im playing the guitar i have no issues with it.. The necks perfect and the binding is uniform both sides. It seems the saddle notches are slightly out. Ill mention it to the dealer.

A big thank you for the replies.

Phil

I suppose the give a way is the fret markers (dots) which should run the length of the neck between the 3rd and 4th string. In my case the 4th string is slightly straddling them .Although when im playing the guitar i have no issues with it.. The necks perfect and the binding is uniform both sides. It seems the saddle notches are slightly out. Ill mention it to the dealer.

A big thank you for the replies.

Phil

Archived