Gibson Brands Forums

Hotrodding my Epi

kingy44

I'm getting some money for my birthday and I want to hot-rod my Epiphone with some Gibson pickups, I'm thinking Burstbuckers. I really want a Jimmy Page like sound, what Gibson pickups would be the best for achieving this? Thanks!

Hi, Welcome to the forum.

Gibby burstbuckers are great sounding pickups, but before you dive in, and part with your birthday cash, There are many other great sounding pickups at more reasonable prices than the gibby ones. brands such as GFS, Bare knuckle, Wilkinson, to name only a couple.

Part of Jimmy Pages unique sound is the special wiring he uses. I think he has series/parallel options wired into his humbuckers, to replace the volume and tone pots with better quality ones, and to use push/pull tone pots for the Jimmy Page wiring options would be an awesome upgrade just as worthy as new pickups.

I've got BB Pros in my LP and they're great sounding pups BUT they are very (and I mean VERY) sensitive to both pickup and pole piece height adjustment. Unless it's right they can sound quite harsh especially in the top end. Also they don't have quite the dynamic range of say Classic 57's.

I'd definately try before you buy if at all possible

Oh yea and your amp is gonna have a big influence on getting closer to a Jimmy Page sound, Thanks for pointing that out Peter [thumbup]

What sort of amp are you using at the moment?

Don't forget that Page also used Tele's a lot in the studio! so that is gonna be a sound that you just won't ever nail with a les paul.

Archived