Gibson Brands Forums

ES - 330 volume knobs acting weird

Bahra

I recently acquired an ES-330 and let me just say it sounds magnificent.

One thing that is puzzling me though, is that when I turn the volume knobs just from 9 to 10 the sound starts breaking up, it gets so aggresive and the volume is much much higher than you would expect. All the other volume settings are fine, but both pickups go crazy when I turn it to 10.

Does anybody know what is causing this, and if it's normal?

It's not normal - though the volume and tone 'taper' from 10 to 1 does vary a bit from potentiameter to potentiameter, it shouldn't really be that dramatic.

You might try carefully squirting a very small amount of quick-drying electronic Contact Cleaner in there if you can (using the small straw tucked into the nozzle of the aerosol can). I'd even take the knobs off if you can so you can see what you're doing, or carefully aim in through the F-holes.

Don't just willy nilly spray something like WD40 in the general direction of your knobs: some products have the potential to damage your guitar's finish. Wipe up any spills and don't squirt without the straw insert.

I use something called "CRC Contact Cleaner" that I think I got at Radio Shack. But there's a product I've heard recommended more often that I can't recall the name of. One can will last you a lifetime... and that's the one I have.

If that fails to stop your issue, you may need to replace the pot or re-wire the harness - a complex procedure on an ES.

It's not normal - though the volume and tone 'taper' from 10 to 1 does vary a bit from potentiameter to potentiameter, it shouldn't really be that dramatic.

You might try carefully squirting a very small amount of quick-drying electronic Contact Cleaner in there if you can (using the small straw tucked into the nozzle of the aerosol can). I'd even take the knobs off if you can so you can see what you're doing, or carefully aim in through the F-holes.

Don't just willy nilly spray something like WD40 in the general direction of your knobs: some products have the potential to damage your guitar's finish. Wipe up any spills and don't squirt without the straw insert.

I use something called "CRC Contact Cleaner" that I think I got at Radio Shack. But there's a product I've heard recommended more often that I can't recall the name of. One can will last you a lifetime... and that's the one I have.

If that fails to stop your issue, you may need to replace the pot or re-wire the harness - a complex procedure on an ES.

I'll try that, thank you!

I found the advice I remembered elsewhere. It was for DeOxit

http://www.deoxit.com/

I think the "F" variety is the one you want - and while I was looking I ran across all sorts of cautions about other products creating fogging or hazing of nitro guitar finishes. And again: the small straw applicator is pretty key to getting the stuff just where you want it.

Hello.

I´ve got a Custom shop ES330 too ( mine is a 2009)and I have also noticed what your say. There´s a huge difference between 9 and 10 in volume pots.. But It´s absolutly normal. Gibson has done it on porpuse . They call it the "Memphis tone circuit".

This is what Gibson says about it:

"P-90 tone

ES hollowbody signature tone is maintained, regardless of volume control setting, through the special control wiring scheme known today as the Memphis Tone Circuit. It allows a wide array of tonal variations from what many consider to be the best pickup ever designedthe P-90. The ES-330L guitar features P-90 pickups in both the bridge and neck positions with independent volume and tone controls for each pickup. A 3-way pickup selector switch allows you to choose either pickup independently or both pickups combined. "

This is mine...

P3210006.jpg

Archived