Gibson Brands Forums

CJ-165 - fantastic tone

Lee M

Just saw a local duo and the guy was playing a CJ-165 (didn't know what it was until I got home and looked it up.) What a fantastic sounding guitar! The kid was a very player too, which always helps. The website says it uses the Fishman Aura Pro. Wondering if the Gibson can dial in the mix between UST and Aura images like the Martin version can. In any case, it sure sounded wonderful.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm new to the forum and found my way to this thread. I'm not much of an accoustic player but wanted a nice quality one to work with. Last year I purchased a used 2005 J-165 (rosewood) on eBay. I can not describe how happy I am with this guitar. It sounds amazing! Low bass and nice bright highs. It's so easy to play and nice and small for sitting and picking. It's inspiring me to work on more acoustic material.

I don't know anything about this guitar's history. All of the Gibson pages show a CJ-165 and it's a cut-away. Mine isn't a cut-away and say's it's a J-165 (not CJ-165) on the inside label. Do you know where I can learn more about this guitar?

Hi, I'm new to the forum and found my way to this thread. I'm not much of an accoustic player but wanted a nice quality one to work with. Last year I purchased a used 2005 J-165 (rosewood) on eBay. I can not describe how happy I am with this guitar. It sounds amazing! Low bass and nice bright highs. It's so easy to play and nice and small for sitting and picking. It's inspiring me to work on more acoustic material.

I don't know anything about this guitar's history. All of the Gibson pages show a CJ-165 and it's a cut-away. Mine isn't a cut-away and say's it's a J-165 (not CJ-165) on the inside label. Do you know where I can learn more about this guitar?

Welcome to the forum JohnnyRocker

Yes the "classic" CJ-165 has been discontinued. The Acoustic/Electric model that is available is designed to be plugged in, I can't say I have tried the A/E version to compare with my CJ-165 so I don't know how it would compare when playing unplugged.

My understanding is that the CJ-165 is a shrunk down J-185 and I think for a while Gibson called them J-165. Same guitar as CJ-165.

I guess people are getting sick of my posting the picture of mine in every CJ thread that comes along.... oh well...here it is again! [thumbup]

Picture024.jpg

Welcome to the forum JohnnyRocker

Yes the "classic" CJ-165 has been discontinued. The Acoustic/Electric model that is available is designed to be plugged in, I can't say I have tried the A/E version to compare with my CJ-165 so I don't know how it would compare when playing unplugged.

My understanding is that the CJ-165 is a shrunk down J-185 and I think for a while Gibson called them J-165. Same guitar as CJ-165.

I guess people are getting sick of my posting the picture of mine in every CJ thread that comes along.... oh well...here it is again! [thumbup]

Picture024.jpg

Thanks nodehopper. That's a nice pic!

Well mine is a J-165 (inside label is orange), "classic" style, and is an accoustic/electric. It was made in Montana and it takes a 9 volt batery and has the 1/4 jack in the strap button (I play mostly unplugged).

I didn't know anything about this guitar when I bought it and now after having it for a year I don't know how I could (or if I could) ever replace it! Why did they discontinue this awesome guitar?!....

Thanks nodehopper. That's a nice pic!

Well mine is a J-165 (inside label is orange), "classic" style, and is an accoustic/electric. It was made in Montana and it takes a 9 volt batery and has the 1/4 jack in the strap button (I play mostly unplugged).

I didn't know anything about this guitar when I bought it and now after having it for a year I don't know how I could (or if I could) ever replace it! Why did they discontinue this awesome guitar?!....

Well...they sorta didn't discontinue it...they just morphed it into a much more acoustic/electric style guitar. Mine also had a pick up in it ..sounds similar to yours.

But yes, I REALLY like the older style, like we both have, that is a seriously awesome acoustic guitar that has a pick up.

Congrats to you for getting yourself a guitar that you can love forever!

• 4 months later...

I had a brilliant one for a day ('06 CJ-165, no cutaway, burst)...but had to send it in for a delaminated fretboard. I can honestly say that the guitar I bought was the most fantastic sounding acoustic guitar I had ever heard in the most comfortable (for me) package I have ever played. I've been looking for that sound ever since. What I got back from warranty service was a crap sounding guitar I wouldn't ever have given my hard earned money for.

Sorry, don't mean to jump on EuroAussie's bandwagon (because I know the sound is possible!) but I am not a happy camper.

I had a brilliant one for a day ('06 CJ-165, no cutaway, burst)...but had to send it in for a delaminated fretboard. I can honestly say that the guitar I bought was the most fantastic sounding acoustic guitar I had ever heard in the most comfortable (for me) package I have ever played. I've been looking for that sound ever since. What I got back from warranty service was a crap sounding guitar I wouldn't ever have given my hard earned money for.

Sorry, don't mean to jump on EuroAussie's bandwagon (because I know the sound is possible!) but I am not a happy camper.

Interesting and sad at the same time that a fretboard repair would affect the tone that much. I wonder what they did?

Archived