Gibson Brands Forums

Tonal Epiphany

ne14t?

So like most men I dont read owners manuals or instruction manuals, this was no different for my guitar pedals...actually I lie I read the 147 page manual for the Line6 POD over the course of like a weeks worth of "bathroom" visits. I was browsing I believe ultimate guitar and found a thread in regards to the Wylde OD/GT-OD pedal, that stated apparently Zakk used his OD pedal infront of his amp on the dirty channel with his gain dimed, I did the old chin scratch. I went back over to my rig and flipped it over to the OD channel, grabbed my guitar and placed my foot on the switch of the OD pedal, with a quick stomp I activated the button and turned the OD on, I was greated by an instant shrill high gain feedback squeal (I had my guitar facing the amp) I rolled back the guitar volume turned away from the amp and strummed an E chord and it was as if I had figured out the meaning of life. The tone was amazing even though there was more gain it was subtle on the OD channel then there was on the clean channel and the sustain holy crap it was like infinite, I just strummed all the strings open, put the guitar back into its stand and let it ring and it kept going for a good two minutes or so I was shocked. I enjoyed the sound of it through the clean channel it wasnt extremely heavy but also it kinda lacked something, and that was the OD channel of my amp. Needs a noise gate though, lots gain makes annoying noises sometimes.

Hahaha the difference came down to solid state versus tube, the way they react to the signal input is pretty nifty, something I never owned at that age. With a solid state its just put a pedal in front of it and still have it sound meh, I wont say horrible cause it can be done, but its bland solid state is like EMGs to some people...sterile with no personality.

Hahaha the difference came down to solid state versus tube, the way they react to the signal input is pretty nifty, something I never owned at that age. With a solid state its just put a pedal in front of it and still have it sound meh, I wont say horrible cause it can be done, but its bland solid state is like EMGs to some people...sterile with no personality.

Yes.....Overdriving tubes with tube or non tube overdrive pedals is a great way to go.....IMHO, the key is to oversaturate is without too much distortion..

If that makes any sense ( I'm too burned out from law work ).....I began with tube amps at age 13.....Oddly, from age 26 - 36 I went all solid state...

I'm back all tube...........But my current recording work is 90% digital, and it sounds all tube...go figure......

I own many tube amps, but I'm not using them these days....hmmmm...

another variation on this technique is to put the volume on your clean amp to the point where it's just on the verge of breaking up and then set the level control of your pedal to give a volume boost and just a little bit of actual distortion from the pedal's gain control. The result is a hotter signal smacking the tubes and pushing them into a natural overdrive.

You can of course use this trick with some preamp distortion from the amp also and do with the amp at different stages of overdrive and the amount of gain in the pedal is subjective also. But to see how it will affect the amp try it first with the amp on the verge of clipping, a gain boost on the level control and very little pedal base distortion.

Archived