Gibson Brands Forums

Aria FA70=JP??

bloozeguy

OK, saw this axe in a ma-and-pa shop, looking (and feeling and mostly sounding) exactly like a MIK Joe Pass, except its headstock was different and it said "Aria" instead of "Epiphone." Same body size and shape, same tailpiece, same bridge, etc. Judging from the serial #, was even made by Samick. Now, from reading here, I know that there has been some interaction between the "Aria" and Epiphone" names in the past, too. My question is, are these really the same guitar just under a different name?

One significant difference--JPs have Grover tuners--they say "Grover" on 'em. These tuners did not say "Grover." Does that mean, automatically, that they are not? I'm also concerned that the pickups are of as good a quality as the Epi's would be.

Thing is in (conservatively) VG condition. Sounds like I'd expect a JP to sound. Can get it w/o case for mid-300's.

Could also use some help is deciphering the serial #--which digits tell me the age of the thing?

Thanks to all!

OK, saw this axe in a ma-and-pa shop, looking (and feeling and mostly sounding) exactly like a MIK Joe Pass, except its headstock was different and it said "Aria" instead of "Epiphone." Same body size and shape, same tailpiece, same bridge, etc. Judging from the serial #, was even made by Samick. Now, from reading here, I know that there has been some interaction between the "Aria" and Epiphone" names in the past, too. My question is, are these really the same guitar just under a different name?

One significant difference--JPs have Grover tuners--they say "Grover" on 'em. These tuners did not say "Grover." Does that mean, automatically, that they are not? I'm also concerned that the pickups are of as good a quality as the Epi's would be.

Thing is in (conservatively) VG condition. Sounds like I'd expect a JP to sound. Can get it w/o case for mid-300's.

Could also use some help is deciphering the serial #--which digits tell me the age of the thing?

Thanks to all!

Info on serial numbers and dating can be found in this thread, it's pinned to the top of the Electrics section.

http://forum.gibson....e-guide-part-3/

I would also consider Aria's to be the equal of an Epiphone, Samick make good guitars regardless of the brand on the headstock.

Archived