Gibson Brands Forums

N.A.D.

dROK83

So my girlfriend's dad gave me a Randall RB-60 bass amp he had lying around. My guitar sounded great through it even though it's a bass amp. It's pretty beat up and the pots needed to be changed so I decided to take it on as a project amp. Here are some pics.

I took it apart. The speaker cover is a little rough, but that's gonna get some new grille cloth and stripped and repainted.

amp_1.jpg

amp_2.jpg

Found out it was made in the beginning of 1978, so I thought that was kinda cool.

Anyway, the pots were very hard to turn and very scratchy. The shaft on the mid pot was broken off, and everything was just old and dusty. So I started by figuring out what pots I needed. Hooked up an ohm meter and came up with 50k ohm, so I got some 50k audio taper. Here are some more pics.

Old and new, as you can see the old were in pretty bad shape. The new ones have metal shafts compared to the old plastic ones.

amp_3.jpg

Here they are after I soldered them in. Everything went pretty smooth, but I did have to trim and restrip a few of the wires.

amp_4.jpg

Then I mounted the board back in, and tightened everything up.

amp_5.jpg

Also had to change out the power cable. The ground prong had come out, here's a pic comparing the 2.

amp_6.jpg

The new one is just a computer power cable I cut the end off of, not sure if that will be a problem but don't really care. Looking to do this for as cheap as possible.

Here is the final picture, basically phase 1 complete.

amp_7.jpg

Plugged in my Les Paul, which you can kinda see to the left, and it sounds great. It only has a clean channel, but after messing with it for a bit I found out that if you turn the Master Sustain all the way down, you can use that as a volume and the volume basically becomes a gain. Gives a real dirty sound, although it might not be good for the amp.

Anyway, I'll keep posting pics as I finish it up, but so far so good. I would like to get some opinions about using this bass amp as a guitar amp. Just wondering if I will run into any problems down the line. All I know is right now it sounds awesome, and I'm very happy with it so far.

Archived