Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Broadway new pickups and piezo

palmiuga

Hi,

I just bought a NOS Broadway made in Korea in 2004.

The guitar is perfectly built but pickups are terrible so I would like to replace them and add a piezo bridge.

Now the guitar has a wooden bridge. Can I replace it with this: http://www.thomann.de/it/schaller_gtmp_g_tuneomatic_bridge.htm ? Problem with fretboard radius?

What do you suggest?

Thanks,

Riccardo

post-33865-074122400 1308141642_thumb.jpg

Hello Riccardo, congratulations on your Broadway and welcome to the forum!

What exactly don't you like about the pickups? Have you tried more than one amplifier? What musical styles do you play or want to play?

The Schaller GTM-P has a peizo pickup built in so would require additional wiring to employ. To see if it will fit you need to measure the post-hole spacing and size on the base of your guitar and compare it to Schaller's specifications (http://guitar-bridge...tikel-Liste.htm).

Most TOM bridges have different height string saddles to compensate for for the fretboard radius. You can also buy complete arch-top TOM bridge/saddle assemblies like this: http://www.stewmac.c...top_Guitar.html

Cheers, Brian

Thanks a lot,

I just attached a picture of my guitar.

I tested the Broadway with my Twin Reverb and Masotti M1 amps. I think pickups are not at the same level of the instrument.

I would like to replace them with a jzz and a Jb.

I think the first thing to do is to add a piezo on the bridge but I need more informations.

Thanks,

Riccardo

HNGD- I replaced the entire wiring guts on my 1994 Joe Pass with a harness from Mojotone as the original equipment was garbage (crackly cutting out of pots, pickup selector was intermittent). Mojotone was suggested by the kind folks on the forum. I did not change the pickups because I wanted to see how they sounded with proper electronics, and I think they sound fine. The wiring harness made a vast improvement. The next time I change strings I might try dropping in a spare TOM I have in place of the rosewood bridge, but for now the intonation is fine.

Beautiful Broadway!

Congratulations, Riccardo.

The Broadway truly is a great guitar with horrendous electronics. I would recommend swapping out the lot. I ended up going with Gibson '57 Classic pickups, which really matched with the guitar's capabilities. Good luck with whatever you decide. the '57 Classics worked wonderfully for me.

Congratulations, Riccardo.

The Broadway truly is a great guitar with horrendous electronics. I would recommend swapping out the lot. I ended up going with Gibson '57 Classic pickups, which really matched with the guitar's capabilities. Good luck with whatever you decide. the '57 Classics worked wonderfully for me.

Thank you!

• 1 month later...

I asked more or less the same question several months ago and ended up replacing the wooden bridge with a copper one made by Wayne Compton:

http://www.comptonbridges.com/home

His service was excellent--I got immediate responses to my email questions and had the bridge in about 10 days. I was amazed and how the guitar REALLY came to life with the new bridge. You might have second thoughts about replacing the pickups once you hear them with a new bridge (the sustain and depth were like night and day). If you go to his web site, he has several sound clips with the different metals. I went with copper because I wanted something warm and bluesy.

I also have used a Tru-Arc for my Gretsch 5120, with excellent results (although the Tru-Arc is double the cost--the Compton was about 40 bucks).

I am sure I you dig around this forum, you can find my original post and all of the helpful responses on bridges and pickups. Good luck.

post-30255-092334300 1312801987_thumb.jpg

Archived